Dusk to Dawn floodlights - ARW maybe has the answer (2023 Update)

Looking for recommendations for dusk to dawn floodlights - probably 10W or 20W.

Intention is they will be permanently 'om' but only lit during the dark hours so a sensor will be needed. Bright illumination is *not* required but should be sufficiently bright to illuminate an area of c7m radius from fitment such that whatever is within the radius is reasonably well lit and can be seen.

Lots of stuff on Amazon, Screwfix etc but I'd appreciate a more knowledgeable view from here please.

Ta

Reply to
Bev

There are not many dusk till dawn floodlights available.

Also as LED floodlights usually need to be terminated into a waterproof box then it's simpler to put a mini photo cell into the waterproof box and fit what ever floodlight you want

or

are the brand we usually fit. And I would say 20W is needed

I see screw fix also do a stand-alone photocell

ARW

While modern photocell switches take less than 0.5W watch out for some of the cheaper ones that have been around for donkey years as some of these take just as much power as the LED floodlight.

Reply to
alan_m

And the one I linked to does not say what it's consumption is.

Reply to
ARW

Of course if this is a new installation the OP will get away with just one photocell and in that case the old mushroom ones are the best

Reply to
ARW

It is antisocial and wastes energy to do that. Far better to have them on motion sensors so they only come on when you need them.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Very few PIR detectors turn on the lights when you want then to. Multiple detectors can do that.

Reply to
ARW

It all depends on why they are fitted. A dawn to dusk may be more of an anti-theft deterrent in that the thief will just go somewhere else when presented with a well lit yard etc.

Reply to
alan_m

Get a PIR activated one and trap a small spider inside the sensor!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Does it need to be floodlights?

Wall bulkheads are very good when the light is mounted low down

for example.

Reply to
ARW

If they're flicking on and off all night that may be far more antisocial than a continuous light.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Well, as they are in a yard with no neighbours its only the wildlife that would find them antisocial. I've tried PIRs but they are forever flicking on and off (according to cameras) so I'd rather go for something else.

Reply to
Bev

Preferably as the wiring for the existing ones is already in place at a high level and for bulkheads I'd need to extend the cabling down the wall.

Reply to
Bev

Existing set up has PIR floods at high level. Recently CCTV was installed to cover the yard and the sudden illumination from the floods 'burnt out' anything light coloured (eg faces) so the idea is to top-up the inbuilt camear lights with additional lighting to give a brighter (but not 0verpowering) constant light.

The idea of a separate photocell plus the flood sounds a good option and thanks for the screwfix links. The connection box you mention elsewhere is one that could (would) be mounted internally as from what I've seen there is sufficient flex on the lights to permit this.

Reply to
Bev

Alexa can turn lights on and off at fixed times relative to sunrise and sunset. e.g. turn them on 15 minutes before sunset, and off 15 minutes after sunrise. Lots of Alexa compatible modules on e-bay and amazon and if you locate them inside no problems with water ingress, spiders etc.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

I use a Shelly relay to open and close my curtains relative to sunset times. A Shelly One won’t set you back much more than £12 and can be programmed via a phone app. A bit fiddly to first set up but you can also link it to Alexa etc if that’s your thing.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

But a well implemented system shouldn't do that.

Reply to
chop

Thanks for the suggestions but Alexa, Siri or whatever ain't my thing.

Reply to
Bev

Just found the cef site which has a Fusion Guardian 15wLED IP65 5yr guarantee for £27.00 together with a plug in (no extra wiring) photocell at an extra £21.90. Free delivery over £50.00 so I'll see what the cheapest thin is that I can add to get it over the line.

Thanks, Adam in particular, for the links and suggestions.

Reply to
Bev

Does your CCTV have a make and model ?

Who ever installed your CCTV, should provide some idea what illuminators would be best suited for it.

I'm curious whether it has an automatic IR cut filter which is switched out during night time surveillance.

You can either be planning stealth surveillance (940nm LED array illuminator) and a "dark back yard" to catch people unawares.

850nm is a "dull red glow" Field of view on this is 45 degrees.

940nm should not be visible (except with a certain eye defect!). These can easily be seen with a smartphone, and perps scan back yards with a smartphone before entering. Where you see the word "Invisible", substitute the word "less annoying" :-/

Or, you can use a strong visible light (with no IR component), and film them in visible light. Perhaps a LED flood, has less incidental IR output than an incandescent flood would.

LED flood = visible light incandescent flood = visible + IR light

850nm LED illuminator = IR light (dull red glow) 940nm LED illuminator = IR light (invisible wink wink)

Even on LED flood, you have to shop carefully. I have one which gives beautiful light, a second (purchased years later) is just awful (back in the box it goes).

This example, is just to show some spectral plots, and there is no light output at 800nm (the right side of the plot would be the IR side). You would think with a device that burns up

100W of input power, there would be some 1.5u or longer, output. I think silicon may be able to see out to 1.5u (the wavelength used for telecom fiber).

Paul

Reply to
Paul