CFL with Dusk-to-Dawn sensor

I've just fitted an exterior light with dusk-to-dawn sensor which specifies an E27 11W ES lamp.

Bought E27 11W ES and then discovered it says not to be used with dusk- to-dawn sensors.

Put lamp in anyway, and it works.

Why wouldn't it work and am I shortening the life of the lamp by using it with a d2d?

Reply to
mike

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 02:09:05 -0800 (PST) someone who may be mike wrote this:-

There are a few reasons why they might recommend this. For example the output stages of the equipment is not able to switch inductive loads [1] or the design of the sensor relies on passing a small current through the lamp when it is "off".

Probably not, but you may shorten the life of the sensor.

CFLs with built-in dusk to dawn sensors are available.

[1] I once found a track on a printed circuit board burnt-out where such a sensor had turned off CFLs. The better ones would have a relay in the output stage.
Reply to
David Hansen

Some D2D sensors are just light dependent resistors and they effectively lower the voltage on the lamp when its bright. This is a no no with CFL.

Better D2D sensors are proper switches.

You can spot the cheap nasty ones at dusk/dawn as the lamp dims and flickers even with tungsten bulbs.

Reply to
dennis

Some D2D sensors are designed to be fitted as if they were ordinary light switches, and hence need to work without a neutral connection. Most of these do that by drawing a very small current through the lamp. You can't do that with a CFL lamp. The type you fitted does not have this limitation.

Reply to
John Rumm

I've got an exterior light outside with a 11w es lamp and a d2d sensor. Been there 3 - 4 years, got it from Wickes.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Snap. It's not been a problem. I think that's been up 5years plus replacing a similar fitting that had worked satisfactorily for possibly eight years with only one lamp being replaced. Fitting was replaced due to sunlight crazing the plastic lens.

Reply to
Clot