lay-on sink

As I'm not a fan of inset sinks (I hate all that mopping up), I'm thinking of installing a 1000 x 600 roll front s/steel type. At one end there will be a worktop join (over the washing machine), but there seems to be no joining strip to cope with that situation. I guess that's the downside of full depth sinks, but has anyone got any bright ideas?
Stuart Noble wrote:

IIUC you want the worktop to butt up against the edge of the sink, but have no way of fixing it too the sink?
Usually one would support that edge of the worktop on either a batten or on small angle brackets fixed to the side of the unit that is supporting the sink. Then run a bead of silicone along the worktop to sink joint.
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

Yep
Thanks, but I was hoping to avoid the silicone bead option. Much as I dislike metal strips, I'd rather have something overlapping both surfaces (albeit with silicone under it).
Stuart Noble wrote:

Ah, salmonella strips as they are known ;-)
Usually the lay on sinks sit some distance higher than the adjacent worktops, this could make a simple strip over both difficult.
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

The ones I've seen are 30mm thick. They even have a roll front to match the worktop. Anyway, in this case, there won't be any units either side, only the worktop over the wm.
John Rumm wrote:

I've seen a few where the side fold of the sink has been drilled and the sink edge screwed into the worktop edge. Easy to do at the drainer end, but could be difficult at the sink end - getting a driver in?
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
Stuart Noble wrote:

We're planning to re-fit our kitchen in a few months time, and share your opinions about inset sinks. Problem is that we haven't managed to locate anyone supplying the lay-on sinks. Do you have links to any suppliers?
--
Mike Clarke

Mike Clarke wrote:

A few here

if you select "contract" under the stainless steel heading. Or

where they're referred to as "sinktops"
The terms "roll front" and "sit-on" are useful in a search.
Stuart Noble wrote:

Thanks Stuart. Those two links got me started in the right direction and also led me to a few more at www.leisuresinks.co.uk and www.rangemaster.co.uk. Now we only have the task of narrowing it down to one that comes close to SWMBO's requirements without breaking the budget.
--
Mike Clarke