lay-on sink

As I'm not a fan of inset sinks (I hate all that mopping up), I'm thinking of installing a 1000 x 600 roll front s/steel type. At one end there will be a worktop join (over the washing machine), but there seems to be no joining strip to cope with that situation. I guess that's the downside of full depth sinks, but has anyone got any bright ideas?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

IIUC you want the worktop to butt up against the edge of the sink, but have no way of fixing it too the sink?

Usually one would support that edge of the worktop on either a batten or on small angle brackets fixed to the side of the unit that is supporting the sink. Then run a bead of silicone along the worktop to sink joint.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yep

Thanks, but I was hoping to avoid the silicone bead option. Much as I dislike metal strips, I'd rather have something overlapping both surfaces (albeit with silicone under it).

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Ah, salmonella strips as they are known ;-)

Usually the lay on sinks sit some distance higher than the adjacent worktops, this could make a simple strip over both difficult.

Reply to
John Rumm

The ones I've seen are 30mm thick. They even have a roll front to match the worktop. Anyway, in this case, there won't be any units either side, only the worktop over the wm.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

We're planning to re-fit our kitchen in a few months time, and share your opinions about inset sinks. Problem is that we haven't managed to locate anyone supplying the lay-on sinks. Do you have links to any suppliers?

Reply to
Mike Clarke

The terms "roll front" and "sit-on" are useful in a search.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I've seen a few where the side fold of the sink has been drilled and the sink edge screwed into the worktop edge. Easy to do at the drainer end, but could be difficult at the sink end - getting a driver in?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks Stuart. Those two links got me started in the right direction and also led me to a few more at

and
Now we only have the task of narrowing it down to one that comes close to SWMBO's requirements without breaking the budget.

Reply to
Mike Clarke