Megaman Dusk to dawn cfl

I have just bought one and fitted it to an outside lantern next to my front door. Unfortunately it is coming on a bit too soon - clearly it needs a bit more light to reach it but I can't arrange that. I have carefully rotated the lamp so the sensor is aiming up the road to get as much light as possible - but the overhanging ceiling and a strut in the lantern are hindering.

I wondered if anyone has tried removing the red cover over the sensor to increase the sensitivity?

I bought it with a view to leaving it on when I go on holiday - and to save a few pence in the light mornings when I have a lie in. I want it on all night.

Not tried emailing makers as they will not condone tampering.

Reply to
John

Sorry, I can't be of any help, other than to sympathise and have a rant that these things are always set to come on too early. Every preset dawn-to-dusk sensing device I've ever had comes on at the first sign of things turning a bit overcast. The only one I have that works properly is over the front door, and that's because I learnt from my mistakes, fitted an ordinary light, and bought a separate adjustable sensor, which turned right down to its lowest setting switches the thing on at a time which is just about acceptable.

Reply to
martin_pentreath

If you work out the extra cost whilst you're on holiday, it's not going to be worth worrying about. Longer term, fit a separate dusk to dawn switch.

Having said that, I drilled and fitted one in the top of an outside lantern 9 years ago. It worked very well for several years, until my rose bush eventually grow over that area of the wall. Now that light is on too much too, so I'm going to have to change to a remote photocell.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Is there a significant problem if it is a CFL? Mine also is too premature in coming on and slow to switch off, but at 11W, I ignore the issue.

Reply to
Clot

What, premature illumination ?

Reply to