Dusk to Dawn Bulbs

I have two dusk to dawn fluorescent bulbs, I have placed in my house , although they come on at dusk they keep switching on and off during the night, they came from Toolstation and I have exchanged one and the new one is just the same , Any tips on how to position these bulbs and if they would be better without lamp shades, or would they perhaps be faulty Thanks E

Reply to
Ed

Maybe the light sensor is seeing the lamp's own light reflected back at it, and thinking its daylight. Solution would be to shield the sensor from the light from the bulb as far as poss.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Elimination,have you tried them elsewere in the house ie another room

Reply to
George

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:54:43 +0100 someone who may be "Ed" wrote this:-

How rapidly do they switch on and off?

If this is less than say every five minutes they are probably seeing the light from the lamp.

Reply to
David Hansen

probably wont work in a normal pendant fitting near a window

Reply to
Ed

I had some hassle with these - if you mean the energy saving ones. Firstly, they only seem to come down as low as 15W, which is much too bright and glary for what I was using them for - lighting an outside flight of steps. They were also very expensive and very short lived.

Eventually, I gave up on the built in sensors, and just bought a single photo switch of the type used in street lights, and it has now been reliably turning on and off a series of 4, 7w cfls for a couple of years, with no lamp failures yet. Very good.

spamlet

I've always been puzzled as to how these things work. If their own light can turn them off, how do they ever turn on? Is it a different wavelength or something?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:20:15 +0100 someone who may be "The Medway Handyman" wrote this:-

Their own light can turn them off if it is reflected back from the luminaire to the sensor. This can happen with the type of luminaire that has metal bands around a glass envelope.

I would use a remote sensor if doing this with a table or standard lamp, which appeared to be what the original question was about.

Reply to
David Hansen

throughtout the week.

George

Indeed. Ensure it points as towards the window as poss, reduce lampshade reflection, and if still necessary glue a bit of black card on to reduce light from the lamp falling on the sensor.

As has been said, sensor built into bulb isnt very smart as you have to repeatedly replace the sensor every time the bulb goes. I dont know why anyone buys them.

NT

Reply to
meow2222