LED driver

I wonder if the gurus in here can help with a slightly OT question? I bought a set of LED lights for the garden expecting them to be supplied with a 12v psu as usual. What arrived is the lights with a very small box connected to them by about 6 inches of cable. The only text on the box is LED DRIVER Model 12V7 -9W Input AC85 - 265 v Output 1000 mA ±5% with two bare leads coming from it. I've never come across this before being a novice with LED drivers. Can anyone tell me what I need to get them to work? If I simply send them back it will be to late to use them when it is sorted (or if) I suspect it requires mains ac input 240v but it all looks a bit flimsy. Can anyone help? T.I.A

Reply to
Torx

you'd need to connect the two bare wires to a 13A plug ... BUT ... is it rated for outdoor use? No IPX6 rating?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Where did you buy them from and are they IP67 rated for outside use. How many lights are there. It sounds like they are mains operated and you need an input of 240v

Reply to
RobH

Without knowing the LED drive requirements I don't think anyone will be able to assist with a degree of certainty.

If the LEDs are 12V, as some are, it will need wiring to the power supply with some chosen connector.

More info needed.

Reply to
Fredxx

It seems an input of 85V to 265V will work.

Reply to
ARW

It's quite normal for the lights to be waterproof but not the driver.

Reply to
ARW

Yes, but 6 inches? I'd be tempted to cut the boxes off, test what the lights do on a variable psu, but chances are they could be 12v, The bad news is that the drivers may contain the circuit which stops them running away current wise and self destructing, in which case the only option would be to cut and extend all the lines so they can have their drivers inside.I'd be tempted to glue them all in a little earthed box and join the mains connections together and use a cable an 13a plug on the end.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

if the mains lead is short, and there's a long length of 12v lead to reach where the string of lights want to start, then fair enough (apart from it being illegal to sell mains items without a fitted plug) but if the cable between PSU lump and lights is too short you'd to put the whole lump inside an IPX6 enclosure ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks for the help so far, very useful. The little box with the LED driver appears to be weatherproof-ish as it is completely sealed including the cable entrances. I have tried connecting it to a 12v dc supply but nothing happened. The general opinion seems to be that it is mains powered so I might try connecting it to a quick-connector I have from the old days, via an rcd plug?

Reply to
Torx

Which bit of Input AC85-265V is causing the problem?

Reply to
ARW

your call on whether it's waterproof enough for whatever kids/animals may poke it.

will the box be located indoors, or outdoors?

if outdoors, you'll want a waterproof connector for your extra cable run to it, e.g.

Andy Burns

I was wondering that as well.

I'm not quite sure what "two bare leads coming from it" means. No insulation on two wires? A bit of cable (length not stated) with two insulated wires with the end of each wire stripped back a bit?

As the LEDS are connected by "about 6" of cable" to the box. It would be reasonable to assume that any other wires were the input and thus, in this case, mains. Is the length of the "two bare leads" enough to have the ends insdie with the LEDs in the wanted position? If so just whacka plug on it and feed it froma RCD protecetd ciruit. If not you'll need to find some weather proof way of making that mains connection outdoors.

As they have not been supplied with a plug the importer obviously isn't too fussed about UK regulations. I wonder what other corners have been cut?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Going somewhat OT, but as you raised the point I decided to check and I'm now more than a little confused. What if the plug is not just a plug but is a "wall-wart" which includes a power-supply? It can't be cut off and a UK three-pin plug fitted.

The Regs (

) mention the three-pin version specifically, which is an "excluded appliance" by virtue of Schedule 3: ?plug transformer? means an electrical transformer which carries three pins substantially rectangular in form and which is designed for engagement with a socket made to the dimensions specified in BS 1363"

Schedule 1 (Excluded Electrical Devices) has as its first entry: "1. Any plug, socket or adaptor which incorporates any other electrical device (other than a F fuse link, switch or indicator light). "

That would seem to include a transformer, so under what part of the Regs does a plug transformer without a UK-three-pin plug fall and become illegal to supply?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I suspect (as ever) that a link the the actual item purchased would have avoided the need for all the speculation as to what the O/P needs to do ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

From the description it needs mains voltage in (85 to 265V AC) It will be a switched mode power supply able to support 110V USA and

230V UK mains voltage.
Reply to
alan_m

I've never delved into it but assumed the provision is in the nature of a filter so stuff is subject to /either/:

a. The Plugs and Sockets etc regulations

/or/

b. The Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations

but not to both.

C.f. in the latter

"(2) These Regulations do not apply to? ... (e)plugs and socket outlets for domestic use;"

Robin

I was hoping to put up a pic of the item, but I can't remember how to do it! Here is the product description from the Amazon page it was bought from:

Product Description: Style: Modern/Contemporary/minimalist Product Name: Stigma lamp Type: Outdoor glowing LED wheat ear plug light Light source type: Incandescent energy-saving lamp LED Voltage:DC12V Light source:LED-0.6W Rainproof level: IP65 Decorative style: idyllic Material: PC pole + LED patch lamp beads Dimensions: Height: 80cm Irradiation area: 3?-5? Light body auxiliary material: pvc + abs Shade main material: LED patch lamp beads Process: Other Number of LED patch lamp beads: 12 Suitable for: Garden, lawn, park, outdoor, courtyard ,Hotel,villa,etc.

Packaging includes: LED wheat ear Light × 15pcs(included power)

I believe it's illegal to sell such things without the UK plug already fitted? I have contacted the supplier, still waiting for a reply. Thankss for the info you have provided so far, really useful.

Reply to
Torx

Presumably this?

Unfortunately it barely shows the PSU

Reply to
Andy Burns

"Easy to install: Height: 80cm, DC12 valtage ,including transformer. The main wire is directly connected to the power supply line of the lamp and then powered on."

Reply to
ARW

That's it

Reply to