Hair dryers, smartphones and kettles on EU Hit List

Isn't this how those "no detergent" balls "work"? The clothes have detergent left in them from previous washes, so still get clean. Obviously when that detergent is washed out the ball will stop working.

Reply to
Clive George

Toilet paper usage makes me want to pull my little bit of remaining hair out!

Two of the last four lots of visitors (all family) seem to be snacking on it at the rate of more than a bog roll a day, for a couple of adults and a small child.

It's gone rapidly in the 'house' toilet as well so I reckon it's going to be Izal next time for them.

JTM

So how do you get out if the door opens inwards? Could be a long wait for someone to do it for you.

I don't understand why it's not required that loo doors open outwards to allow users to push them open without using their hands. Crazy that you can wash your hands and then have no option but to touch a handle that may well (usually *will be*) be filthy.

Got put off cups by two girls...

Reply to
Richard

Persil is the one detergant guaranteed to cause a rash in our family

John

Reply to
JTM

You can easily avoid getting the germs on your hands, just use your teeth to open the door.

Reply to
dennis

Limbo through the gap under the cubicle door.

Reply to
Nightjar

The use of "Jugs " compared with keetle is a big improvement in efficiency. Maybe this is where they're heading.

Reply to
harryagain

There are some crap ones about. I bought a cheapie. Useless object.

Reply to
harryagain

I do an "arab" and use my left hand to open bog doors - often with my little finger if possible.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Bio?

We had a lot of unexplained eczema with the kids - first we went to Persil Non Bio liquid and that was a big improvement.

Then we dropped conditioner (SWMBO's idea - I did not see how it was relevant) - but it did help.

No problems since - apart from the holiday wash...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Lot to be said for the Japanese funky jet wash bogs.

And end up with a jobbie on your head... Bloody useless stuff. Used to have it at York Uni in 1986.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Using a piece of loo roll. Or a paper towel if they have them.

Reply to
Huge

Grasp the handle at the top.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Geez... that's gross. What if there isn't an arab for you to do, just use the left hand?

Reply to
Richard

When it comes to kettles, I have been thinking that an induction kettle could be rather neat.

  • The kettle itself could be very simple - pretty much a vessel with a magnetic material near the base.
  • It could be insulated all round for safety as well as heat retention.
  • The kettle could be lighter than at least most available kettles. This is an important factor having seen both mother and partner struggle with standard kettles due to age/illness.
  • A fairly simple chip device could communicate between the kettle and its base (e.g. temperature).
  • The types of control already used in many induction hobs could easily provide accurate temperature control for those who want less-than-boiling water.
  • An optional second, perhaps smaller, kettle could be available for heating milk (yeeuggh - but some people apparently like it). Obviously with the option of the chip in that selecting the best heating profile for milk.
  • An optional third pan-type kettle (i.e. more like a pan but designed to fit the base) could effectively provide a fifth burner for those who find the standard four on a hob not quite enough at times.
  • Maybe a stirrer device could be incorporated - to help avoid uneven heating of milk but also, and here this is pure speculation, to make the kettle less noisy.
  • The base could incorporate a weighing sensor so you can know exactly how much water is in the kettle.
  • Optional extra small and extra large kettles could be made available. Obviously extra large would take much longer to heat up but possibly perfectly acceptable.

With all these advantages there is bound to be some cost. Given the incredibly low price of Lidl/Aldi double burner induction hobs, and the incredibly high price of many kettles, I don't think it would be impossible to produce such a kettle within current kettle price ranges. However, you are not going to get one at the £7.95 distress purchase end of the market any time soon.

Reply to
polygonum

Since you appear to think creeping featuritus is a good thing, I suggest you learn from this lot, crowdfund your technokettle to see how many others fancy paying £299.95 for one ....

Reply to
Andy Burns

We were on a cruise ship not long ago - the public loos all had tissue dispensers next to the door on the inside, and a refuse bin next to the door on the outside.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Reply to
Andy Burns

At least all the features I suggest are related to heating liquids! That is totally bloody ridiculous.

Reply to
polygonum