Hair dryers, smartphones and kettles on EU Hit List

Surely, smart phones do not deserve to be on this list. The other inefficient items are electric irons and heating devices in my view.. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Perhaps one of the biggest energy usage reductions is achieved by making it as easy as possible to assess how much water is in the kettle. I certainly remember lots of people filling their kettles up way over what they needed - often because they were being over-cautious about making sure the element was covered. The introduction of transparent windows and elements in the base have made it possible to get the amount of water right more of the time.

One gripe I have is that the scales vary - let us simply have a numeric scale based on litres. Cups are so variable it really doesn't help very much having a cup scale.

Reply to
polygonum

That probably makes them wash less effectively. They are designed to have the tumbling action push the water through the clothes. Mine uses more water on the wool and delicates and sloshes them about in the water and tumbles them in less water for the intensive washes.

As for rinses, I just program in an extra rinse .

They all have to use less water because the people in the SE haven't invested enough in water supply and we all have to suffer for them.

Reply to
dennis

Measuring volumes in cups is bonkers. When I tried to buy a cafétiere online I rejected any that didn't give the capacity in litres. That was about 90% of those on offer.

I've just about got used to the American "cup", about 240 ml, only to discover that the Japanese "cup" is 180 ml.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Ah, but each house has multiple phones, and the chargers are left plugged in even when they're not in use, just think how many kittens they can save.

They don't think the manufacturers have spent the last 7 years getting maximum battery life for these?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm more concerned about the state of the door handles, especially if you have to follow someone who hasn't even tried to wash.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

We noticed something on holiday...

My washing machine is modern (7 year old Miele). It has an extra-rinse setting which we leave on as the kids used to be sensitive to residual detergent (we use non-bio and no conditioner as both made things worse).

Well, we did some washing on holiday and used the same non bio (Persil) but in tablet format rather than liquid.

Son started complaining of an itchy back which then got covered in hives

- recovering fairly quickly when he had a shower.

Fresh shirt - they came back next day.

Another shower and an item of clothing that was still fresh from home - no problem.

So I am wondering if they've gone too far and machines aren't rinsing as well as they could. Hard to be sure - could be all sorts of factors in a public laundrette.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes if only people would boil only the amount they need. filling a kettle for one cup of coffee is insane but v.common around here

Reply to
fred

Best? In what way? Cheapest, cleanest, most green what?

The thread originally was about the EU banning high power devices so they could be seen to be green. Basically I am questioning what is most green :-

Hot air dryers or paper towels (with associated tree use, disposal of used towels etc)

BTW I am of the opinion that a lot of things are too clean nowadays, there is an upsurge in allergys etc perhaps this is because the body has never been exposed to 'nasties' so has not developed a measured immune response to them.

Don't get me wrong I am not suggesting everyone live in squalor just that maybe the modern fad for killing all (well 99.9%) of germs is going a bit far, and people tend to be paranoid about any microbes (witness the 'rise' of anti-bacterial sprays for EVERYWHERE).

Reply to
soup

I seem to recall that testing shows that the modern low water rinse cycle doesn't work at all well and high levels of detergent can be left in clothes.

Reply to
Capitol

Well, where do you think that the phrase, "The lights are on, but..." originated?

Reply to
Richard

well it ends up heating the room and or being half hot for next time you need a cuppa.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Let alone the mug

Reply to
Richard

The same question can be applied to air hand dryers. I either case, my answer is that I don't know and don't have the facilities to find out. However, hot air hand dryers have been suspected in the spread of Legionnaire's disease, while paper hand towels have not.

Reply to
Nightjar

We're back on the "flushing the bog twice" then.

The only mitigating factor is my machines extra rinsing uses cold water, so not much energy impact.

I will be annoyed though, if I had to use a laundrette and pay a second time just to run it through awash with no detergent!

Reply to
Tim Watts

I don't touch the door handles in public loos.

Reply to
Huge

At drying your hands. That's what they're for.

You're welcome to faecal coliforms on your hands. I'll pass.

Reply to
Huge

And vigorous washing is more benefit than high temp water or using a fancy DON'T CONTAMINATE YOUR DIRTY HANDS BY TOUCHING A SOAP DISPENSER soap dispenser.

John

Reply to
JTM

It is precisely because someone did pass... :-)

Reply to
polygonum

I hoped *someone* would get it!

Reply to