Hair dryers, smartphones and kettles on EU Hit List

That's been our experience on most ships we've been on. But not ashore...

A non-contact door lock-unlock switch on the one I went on earlier in the year. Unlocking the door automatically opened it.

Reply to
Nightjar

Is there a reason why outward-opening doors would not be installed on a ship?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

The same general objection to outward opening doors anywhere, they are likely to be a hazard to people passing, but with the added problem that ship gangways are often even narrower than most corridors.

Reply to
Nightjar

I understand that, and the usual solution AFAICS is to set the door back. That requires extra space, but I'd have thought that space was rather less precious in the passenger areas of a cruise ship (not that I've ever been on one).

So where there's a bin outside the inward-opening door, does that create a small obstruction in the narrow corridor^W gangway?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

probably because, unless they had a window, you'd hit someone when you opened tem.

Reply to
charles

Looks good to me. I wouldn't buy one, but in the US or Aus where the climat e and social scene suit it I think it would go down well.

Perhaps I should set up a kickstarter for a Scottish equivalent - a long-li fe carrier bag printed on one side with Buckfast stockists and on the other with bus shelters.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Buy them a Breville hotcup (bog standard one was £25 in Asda last week). They produce one cup of *boiling* water at the press of the button in about 40 seconds.

The more expensive versions allow you to adjust the volume dispensed, with the cheap one just makes sure all their cups are big enough.

If they are really forgetful you might want to wire a microswitch to detect the cup as the spill tray will overflow after a cup full.

You are supposed to fill them like a kettle but a cheap plastic jug would probably be better.

Reply to
dennis

I've never seen (or heard anyone I know mention seeing) anyone clean out one of those things. Maybe some places do it, but I expect it's a rarity.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Most public toilets in the USA provide paper towels (many have electric dryers as well), & "mountains" are rare.

Not enough, though (in this country). I'd like to see a legal requirement for employers & shops to provide paper towels (for hygiene reasons).

IMHO, the people who sell electric dryers & the decision-makers who put them in public/workplace toilets without paper towels as an alternative should be forced to use them at home. ;-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

The one I was on had a sliding door and, using a non-contact switch, didn't need a bin. It did' however, open onto a corridor, rather than onto an open area.

Reply to
Nightjar

In fact anyone who chooses those confounded Kimberly-Clark bog-tissue dispensers should be made to use them. Whilst suffering from the runs.

Take a tissue - no way is that holding out in use... Take some more - usually one at a time. Attempt to form a tissue of sufficient thickness. Then one gets stuck to your arse.

Real time wasters. Luckily my work has those midi-rolls[1] in a nick proof holder.

[1] About 150% diameter of a normal bog roll, but about 20 times the usable content - partly because they are not too fluffy=soft=useless so little is enough.
Reply to
Tim Watts

But only 2" wide?

Reply to
Capitol

Just how wide is your bum hole?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Prolapsed colon?

Reply to
Tim Watts

In the case of launderette machines there are two factors I can think of:

. They are rarely cleaned properly so there is a buildup of detergent and conditioner that gets stuck in in the soap drawer etc. Not to mention people who use too much detergent.

My local launderette (the better one) has machines that should go through four rinse cycles but the owner has reprogrammed them to only do three.

OTOH all the launderette machines I have ever seen have been American types which fill hot and cold and use rather more water than a domestic model.

Reply to
djc

Issue them with a measured number of sheets at the start of the day.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Do what they had at a public toilet in either Turkey or Greece (I forget which) - a woman sitting outside handing out a single sheet as you went in.

Reply to
Nightjar

That happens in parts of China too. You have to pay for them too...

Reply to
Tim Watts

though where you have to pay it isn't rationed.

It madness not to take your own supply in third world countries - Yes I know we're not supposed to call them that anymore :-)

Reply to
tim.....