Hair dryers, smartphones and kettles on EU Hit List

That is why air dryers are popular with the people who run them. Also such applications are fairly non-critical. However, I have noticed that more and more places are offering both.

Reply to
Nightjar

:)

Reply to
Tim Watts

I saw a better version - might still have been a Dyson. It was a small box that blasted a sheet of fast air out the base - more like a regular hand dryer. But it literally blasted the water drops off your hands, tips included.

I do not like the "dip" type - you cannot avoid touching the sides that is basically mouldy. And they star a bit too early and blow a load of drops in your face.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In view of the latest thinking on the causes of the extremely high incidence of allergies (33%) amongst the 1st world countries' populations, this may not be such a bad thing.

Reply to
Johny B Good

My wife absolutely dreads having to use the toilets in certain motorway service stations. She has severe tinnitus, and the noise made by some of the hand dryers in the confined space really sets it off. It's second only to the Concorde taking off.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Saved me writing that. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Almost completely agreed - but for me not wife - and Concorde type noise really doesn't upset me anything like vacuum cleaners and hair and hand dryers.

Reply to
polygonum

That rather depends upon what bugs they are. I had quite a lot of discussion with a professor who wanted to do trials of using BCG (TB) vaccination on neonates, in an attempt to reduce the incidence of allergies. The important thing about TB vaccination is that it triggers a reaction at the cellular level, which is permanent, rather than just initiating the creation of anti-bodies, which may not be.

Reply to
Nightjar

..and take how much energy/raw materials, causing what pollution, to produce?

Reply to
soup

You must already have the new EU kettles, mines 3kW. Takes about 30 seconds to boil a mug of tea.

Reply to
dennis

Installed a new close couple toilet last year (so with the usual 6L (?) cistern). It flushes fine.

Reply to
Chris French

Everyone looks so, you can't tell by looking at them.

Reply to
dennis

I wouldn't mind betting they leave their lights and PCs on 24/7 in both places!

Reply to
The Other John

Only Dyson could build a high velocity, spread the germs more, hand dryer just as the NHS started to remove hand driers to prevent infection spreading. If you have a choice don't use them and use a paper towel as its a lot safer.

Reply to
dennis

The word "unmaintained" is redundant.

Reply to
dennis

Surely this is irrelevant if they are the best solution?

Reply to
Huge

What if they're the most expensive?

Reply to
Clive George

... clogging up the basins and toilets causing flooding, and bins of them are flammable.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

And washing machines, which used to fill up to halfway up the porthole, now 'wash' and 'rinse' clothes in about a teaspoon of water, spinning them at high speed to get the detergent out, causing greater wear on the machine and clothes.

I and many others pour additional water in through the detergent drawer to get my clothes splashing through the Surf.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

you do know you're not supposed to put the tea in the kettle

tim

Reply to
tim.....