Gridwatch Down?

pamela formulated on Sunday :

Some, yes. Basically many of us beleive that too much money is being spent on expensive renewables like wind power, with little return for the money. They only work when the wind blows and mostly it doesn't, so other forms of energy generation has to be there to produce when needed. Bascally we pay twice.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Andrew Gabriel laid this down on his screen :

Very well put sir!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Tim Watts formulated on Sunday :

The cost per wind generator is massive, they have a very limited working life, maintenance costs are likewise high and manufacturer of them is far from green. Their output not not reliable, so we have to have more conventional backup plant for when there is no wind. So green, they are not, even if they worked - mostly they don't work, but then plenty of companies make a good income from making, installing and maintaining them!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes. Because we build two power stations to get the output of one.

Reply to
Tim Streater

We should stop worrying, apparently ...

The sums don't add up, if the winter standby capacity is going to cost £2-3b/year, then 24m households, paying an extra £7/year each is only £168m.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The BBC has got it slighly wrong in terms of cost per annum but not quite as much as you think. The £2-3bn figure is definitely wrong. The capacity contracts are per delivery year and are not cumulative

The latest auction 2016 T-4 for 2020/21 cleared at £22.50/kW/annum with a total capacity of 52.4GW, for a total cost of £1.1 bn in 2020/21

Previous auctions have been slighly lower in price (£18 and £19.50) per kW/annum and the capacity ranging from 46.3GW to 49.2GW the total cost ranging from £834m to £955m. These are costs per annum for delivery in that year, or up to

15 years but with the caveat that not more than one contract per generation unit per annum can be held, so the costs at five years out are £1bn more or less per annum for 50GW of secured capacity.

Electricity consumption in the UK by domestic consumers totals around 30% of total demand on an annual basis (BEIS Dukes 2016 page 118)

£1.1bn per annum, with a total demand of 303TWh is around 0.36p per kWh ( BEIS Dukes 2016 page 115)

On a mid range dual fuel OFGEM Typical Domestic Consumption Value of 3100 kWh that equates to £11 per annum.

The Other Mike

[snip bedtime reading]

Thanks for those ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

And another +1!

Reply to
newshound

Isn't it because with privatisation in 1990, "Obligation to supply" was replaced with "The market will take care of it".

Wait a minute, there is an "obligation to supply renewables".

Reply to
newshound

You beat me to it!

Reply to
newshound

Clever stuff, but it does all rather make my brain hurt! Is there a simple explanation of the process anywhere? I (just about) understood how it worked in the days of The Pool.

It is all fairly comforting, though, that a proper auction process is used to set the price of things like this and the mobile phone spectrum.

Reply to
newshound

With respect, there are not that many threads on climate change. This one is about the technology for electricity generation, and its economics.

A lot of the posters here might readily be labelled deniers elsewhere, but there is little dispute about rising carbon dioxide levels, that it is a greenhouse gas, and that it contributes to rising temperatures. What many of us challenge is the idea that prediction is easy, or that the apocalypse is upon us.

Reply to
newshound

Exactly! :-)

Reply to