Gridwatch Down?

Can't connect at the moment; has it been shut down to conserve power?

Reply to
David

David submitted this idea :

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That reminds me of the old joke about the two farmers discussing the eclipse. One said to the other: 'How could I see an eclipse in Forfar when I was in Glamis* at the time?'

Scott

It happens that Scott formulated :

Sometimes issues are local to a PC, local to an area, or limited to a particular ISP - so it is useful confirm when others are able to issue.

It is still off-air BTW..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

yeah. the server hosting it crashed due to a power failure at the datacentre apparently.

I rebooted it as soon as possible

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks.

Looks like everything is flat out, to make up for lack of much wind generation..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Damn linux machines, always needing unscheduled reboots.

Reply to
dennis

You don't run the Screwfix payment data link through your machine as well do you? :-) I thought your comment was more used for Windoze.

I blame dirty power myself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Hot, doubly redundant, dual power supplies? Both fed from the same

230V feed?
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

??? sorry. I should have said I booted it.

It needed it due to the lack of electrons flowing through the parent hardware.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

well yes. I am a bit p***ed off that no ups was in play.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No UPS full stop or no UPS beacuse it was "on maintenance". I'd

*expect* any half decent datacenter to have dual redundant UPS's, feeds and PSU's. But that costs money and I guess you can "get what you pay for". What do the T&C's have to say about power?

Mind you even then people do the oddest things> Was it in here that someone said they had installed dual, independendent, diversly routed, backed up supplies to each rack but the equipment installers connected the two inputs of the dual PSU's to the same supply "beacuse it was neater".

Nothing like the sound of equipment fans running down when the lighting switches to emergency mode to turn the trousrers of datacenter manager brown. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'd be more interested in why it didn't restart and why TNP had to reboot it?

Reply to
dennis

it didn't restart because the people who run the hardware hadn't gotten round to booting all the virtual machines before I noticed it had gone down it isn't set to boot on power on automagically.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , dennis@home.? escribió:

Probably the blip in power changing over from utility to generator was enough to hang the machine. This is exactly why UPSes are also required.

TNP's using an el-cheapo VPN host which probably doesn't provide anything like remote management or iLO.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I would rather he did so than switch to a more expensive host paid for by ads.

And I can live without Gridwatch if it does go down - though I respect the views of any who feel differently; and suggest they make a note to call 116 123 ;)

Reply to
Robin

En el artículo , Robin escribió:

is an alternative

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

is a copy

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can't say I take much interest in electric power generation but I have to ask what's the attraction of observing those dials?

Genuine question.

I see power genration discussed here and sometimes there are fierce debates but why the very keen interest ion the first place and why here?

Reply to
pamela

It's interesting to see if the lights are going out soon...

It's also great to show the kids how erratic wind power is, so they go and aks their teacher "why don't we build more reliable nuclear power stations, Miss?"

Seriously, the latter - it's educational :)

Reply to
Tim Watts