Gridwatch Down?

I think that's probably fair. And there are too many yo-yos on Twitter and FB to make attempting to discuss it there worthwhile.

Reply to
Tim Streater

A lot of the people here have science/engineering backgrounds. That doesn't map to agreement or disagreement on made-made global warming (there are different views), but it does map to significant agreement that most environmentalists are clueless about viable renewable energy generation. Some of this is obvious if you look at gridwatch.

If there was an environmental organisation that based its policies on sound science and economics, I'd join it like a shot.

Unfortunately, these organisations attract people who don't understand either science or economics. That's not just benign - it results in real harm in the form of unnecessary costs, fuel poverty deaths, and exporting businesses which were essential for the economic success of the country and providing jobs. It will in all probably also result in the lights going out in the next few years (and that has enormous implications for industry's economic viability, and peoples' safety). Much of this is directly due to the misguided activities of environmental organisations pushing the wrong policies. If they understood the science and economics, they could actually push for environmental policies which worked.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

+1

In short, these people can't do sums.

Reply to
Tim Streater

snip

That is certainly inconclusive, it doesn't tell us anything on its own. But it is *not* meaningless, it is a data point that can be added to others to reduce the uncertainty until the actual change (in whatever direction it may be) is significant, or until there is evidence that no change greater than a certain small amount has occurred.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

En el artículo , Robin escribió:

Never seen any. But then I have an ad blocker installed

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , pamela escribió:

The UK is operating with a very narrow margin (available generated capacity vs demand) and people are interested in how the grid and market are coping and whether the lights will go out.

There's interest in how well intermittent so-called "green" power like solar and wind integrate into the mix and how that intermittency can be planned for.

if the lights go out, your angle grinder stops working...

see above :) There's also some posters with relevant background in the industry posting, which is input that's nice to have, and some are very good at crunching the numbers.

I'm unaware of a suitable alternative group. Surely it's not as off topic as asking about transfer times between bank accounts?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Roger Hayter escribió:

I think few in here would disagree with that.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Perhaps not all ad blockers are created equal since AdBlock Plus allows for me an ad for energy helpline.

Robin

*Applause*
Reply to
Huge

A Dutch colleague has just told me a 3-hour power cut in Amsterdam a week ago is now known to have resulted in 3 deaths. (The power cut was due to a fault, not electricity shortage, but it demonstrates the effects.)

The extra polution in London last week which resulted in the warnings being issued not to exercise and those with breating difficulties not to go outside, drifted across from Germany due to the weather patterns causing it to drift across without dispersing. Germany's polution output has massively incresed due to their Greens shutting down their nuclear power stations in last few years.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This is true, but it's all too easy to do when you have a Green movement pushing you hard not to build power stations, but instead to put money into schemes which have failed to produce viable electricity (thoroughly predictable at the outset by science), and made what would have been viable schemes uneconomic too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

probably, but dont bother your pretty little head about it.

Alls well and God is in his place, reading the Guardian..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Only by climate deniers, who maintain a belief in a science fiction horror story in denial of the actual data.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , Robin escribió:

agreed.

uBlock Origin plus Ghostery, plus the hosts file from:

Ads? What ads?

plus websites load in a fraction of the time without all the flashing, jumping, in-yer-face, pop-over, pop-under, auto-video-playing-at-max- volume, malware-spreading, screen-obscuring shit sucking up your bandwidth.

When ad-flingers start behaving reasonably and responsibly, I'll switch blocking off. But not until then.

You may have the "allow some acceptable content" box ticked in the Adblock Plus settings.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Judging by some of the things I have read here, those abilities never struck me as a prerequisite for making a post. :-)

That's very true.

Reply to
pamela

As others have said, usenet is dying, this is one of the few active groups not dominated by trolls.

And usenet threads a conversation properly, regardless of length.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Why not also discuss sustainability of marine species or the accumulation of ocean waste? Perhaps proliferation of nuclear weapons? Deforestation? What about dangerous space junk? Or genetically modified foods? To me, any of these seems just as interesting as power generation or climate change.

I'm not deriding any single one of these topics but it's surprising to come to a "hammer and nails" DIY group and see big threads about climate change.

I don't mind the discussion at all but I'm intrigued why so many people here find this particualr topic so interesting. Perhaps it's a coincidence of backgrounds, interests, current news, etc.

Reply to
pamela

If you want to ask a question about them then there will be someone that has an answer.

Reply to
dennis

En el artículo , pamela escribió:

I think it is probably that.

I also think most of the regular posters, excluding the obvious trolls, here show a higher level of intelligence than is evident in many groups

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

So we know just before the lights go out, that the lights are going out and to get our home genny warmed up and ready :D .

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield