Screwfix

Sort of on topic!

Checking stock in local stores requires typing in my location for every item selected. (use current location puts me in London which is probably the IP location)

A quick Google suggests I need to allow tracking but this doesn't appear to help with S'fix.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I bought something yesterday. Looked it up, clicked the Click and Collect button and it added it to the basket from my local branch.

I know this isn't quite the same, but I don't recall beeing constantly asked for my location (or even being asked for it recently).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Are you logged in, and do you have a "selected store" selected?

Which browser are you using? Desktop or mobile? Using an app? I think you need to give more information.

Reply to
GB

I found that. I think what you have to do is go to 'Store Locator', find a store, click on it and 'Make Selected Store'.

Then, when you look at the listing for an item it'll say '3 in stock in '.

It's a bit of a palaver compared with TS where every page has a branch dropdown, and it then remembers it and lists the stock available in whole categories. Particularly since TS keeps a smaller range but most stores have stock, while SF has a wider range but half them are mail order/C&C only.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

OK Theo. I hadn't been using the *find store* button on their header. Remains to be seen if it remembers me as Firefox is set to delete history on close.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think Theo has cracked it!

I hadn't found the button for selecting a store. If you go from an item via *check stock in local stores* it doesn't offer an option to select a particular store.

This is Firefox and logged on or not and desktop.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It should remember your selected store, provided you log in.

Reply to
GB

Why should you have to log in, if you're buying from a store?

In theory it should be remembered if your cookie is retained. If you've set FF to delete browsing history the cookie may remain, unless you've also set it to delete cookies on exit.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Or can you select which cookies to retain?

Reply to
Scott

There is a report I read the other day about web sites which are hard or impossible to use costing retailers millions each year. it suggests keeping it simple no snazzy find me bits, no maps no mouse overs etc, simple fields etc. Many blind people find that site a mess as well, and when reading here and other places it seems we are not alone.They need to give their web gurus a rucket up the bum by the sound of it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Some sites decline to log you in from a cookie even though they recognise it. I expect it is supposed to be for 'security', but if they're that worried they shouldn't be keeping your info anyway. It protects against an a relatively unlikely problem of someone else logging into your computer, so it would seem to be too late by then anyway. Made more sense in the days when by default many people shared the same unsecured user environment on Windows.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

The cookie being referred to here is simply the one that remembers your local store.

It is possible to never log in, yet still have a default store for stock levels whenever the site is used.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Quite agree KISS rules. And do what thay say they are going to do no stupid "See Tarrif Comparison Card" taking you to a form of half a dozen plus fields all of which it knows.

Mouse over drop downs *really* piss me off, especially large ones that instantly appear and cover up what you are trying to look at.It's all fing javascript why can't it delay a second before dropping down? So just moving the pointer across the active bit of screen doesn't trigger it.

Or just do some proper "usabilty" testing. I've done that, with eye tracking. Fascinating seeing where you look on a page and that scrolling doesn't happen unless its *really* obvious that scrolling is required.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

For me, the worst aspect of SF's site is that when flicking back from a product to the page of products it says 'Please wait while we update your selection' and then goes to the top of the page.

I've taken to using Up gesture on the link to load a foreground tab and then an 'L' to close the tab. When I have 100 or All on a page I don't want to go from low down to top, thank you SF!

Reply to
PeterC

I was on a site recently where the damn drop down was so big you couldn't get the mouse below it so it retracted when I had the browser full screen. I had to make the browser a window so I could go around the menu strip to avoid it. Whoever designs these things should be made to order their food using such a site, then Darwin will take care of the problem.

Reply to
dennis

Lol, so true. A high proportion of sites are still either unusable or so problematic to use I just leave. They really haven't got the hang of that bit of research that showed 80% of attempted purchases aren't followed through.

The same increasingly applies to some appliances. They have features a to z but are a mare to use, so I don't want them. Nor did I ever want those features.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr