Can't open lock - guard has fallen down

A friend's back door lock has failed (again). Locksmith managed to open it last time and he said something about a guard falling down inside and all he did was lift it up.

Anyone know what this is about and how I'd go about trying to open the door? It's just with a ~£50 call out, it seems a lot of money to just raise a guard.

Thanks, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Wouldnt it be cheaper and better in the long run just to fit a new lock.

Reply to
ty

In article , snipped-for-privacy@spamtraper.uk.org says... .

What fantastically useful advice! How would a new lock be fitted without opening the door first?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Watson

You are abolutely right. However I doubt the dick head will be paying any attention. Fancy leaving the damn thing in. Fancy not doing a site search on the subject.

We can but hope eh?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Call the locksmtith out, get the lock opened, then either get the locksmith to fit a new lock or do it yourself. How many times would someone want to go through having a faulty or dodgy lock costing them money befor they realise it might just be better to buy a new lock.

Reply to
ty

Indeed and once we get it open again, the lock will be replace. Unfortunately, it's not easy to replace a lock in a lock door!

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Who rattled your cage? Yes I'm paying attention and hindsight is a wonderful thing. It *might* have been a good idea to replace the lock. The locksmith said "this occasionally happens, doesn't mean the lock is faulty".

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Once which is why I will replace the lock for her.

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

In article , Rob Nicholson writes

Sorry that you appear to have come across the worst of the unhelpful smart arse brigade that sometimes creep out of the woodwork here.

I believe the answer you got from dinosaurus in the other group you posted to is really good advice. If you are going to replace the lock, then buying the replacement before you try this trick could give you a good insight into how to turn the guard with a screwdriver, but only a replacement 5/7 lever BS3621 lock is likely to have a guard.

If you have difficulty turning it with a screwdriver then a guard turning tool can be made by taking a spare key and cutting off the lever turning blade of the key down to about a millimetre away from the shaft, this will let you insert the tool into the lock in whatever position the guard has turned to and you will be able to turn it to the right position. I imagine the detent which holds the guard in the normal position is worn or broken.

HTH

Reply to
fred

In message , fred writes

Angle grinder - job done

Reply to
geoff

Thanks - yes, Dinosaurus's advice was spot on - 30 seconds with a torch and screwdriver rotated the ring with attached guard out of the way.

Regards, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson