Got the cat!

If you wanted a nice steak, you wouldn't kill a highland cow. They seem to be skin, bones, big horns and fur, but not much meat, at least that's what all the ones near me look like (kept for hobby farming, or subsidy farming, or grazing rough land).

Hereford or Charolais much better.

Reply to
Andrew
<snip>

Very true. ;-(

However, in general there are rules, even in war, Geneva Convention and anti-slavery / safeguarding etc that do apply to humans (and often being applied retrospectively over many tens of years) but that doesn't seem to exist quite so well where animals are concerned, animals who can't produce letters, video footage or emails in their own defence.

They can sometimes be supported by other humans who do have a coincidence or can show some empathy. ;-)

Even with pets, not only are we supposed to provide them food, warmth and shelter, as they are effectively captive, we are also obliged (if we want the best for *them*) to provide them with enrichment, be that a bell and some toys for a budgie to a wheel for a hamster or puzzles and ball fetching for a dog.

Or, you could just let your pet roam the neighbourhood doing what it likes.

I think I saw something on TV a while back where a town had just that with dogs. They all left their homes in the morning, met up at a local spot, hung about together then went home at dinner time.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

IMPO, no such thing, even before I went vegi / vegan.

I've had a few steaks in my time but I think the whole experience is overrated. Same with 'chops'.

There used to be one of those grill houses near here and I went there a couple of times. Most meals were a couple of mouthfuls away from a heart attack and not really my thing. I'd rather have a nice curry, though never really *enjoyed* anything super hot and now only able to eat fairly mild stuff.

But then I've never really been a foody, generally preferring something nutritionally balanced that I can eat and get on with my life. 'Eat to live not live to eat' sorta thing.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah there's your misteak, food produced down to a price. The best steak I ever had was in a pub, the steak had been eating the grass in the field opposite the pub... Completely different and far nicer than anything in grill/steak house.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oh, I see what you did there ... ;-)

Sure, but that wasn't the only place I tried it.

I'm sure it was ... the point was I didn't particularly enjoy steak, irrespective of how nice or god / quality, still_alive_on_the_plate is was.

It's just one of those things. The last 'steak' I ate was a home made 'Steak in ale and mushroom pie' in a restaurant and I only choice that because it was the best of the worst on the menu for me (generally because there was more meat in the alternatives).

The steak was 'ok' in that it wasn't chewie but as for the taste ... <shrug>

See, for me, every mouthful of meat is a gamble of finding something chewie or with tubes or a bone and for me the gamble and cost (an animals 'life', if that's what you can call it) has never really actually been worth it for me.

I think the number of times I've been to the butchers in my life can be counted on the fingers of one hand (even mine, not his). The reason is they are too much of a reminder of what they are selling, especially those where they have the main butchery table in view and rabbits and birds hanging in the front window. Difficult to be part of that and go home to tend your pet rabbit. ;-(

But then is it any difference to any ethical / free trade product where you buy it in the hope that there was 'less' (even, ideally none) exploitation of children or of people trying to make the very basic living (or animals, in the case of an ever growing number [1]).

Cheers, T i m

[1] This seems to be mainly from the younger generation who maybe haven't lived with the whole eating-of-animals thing for as long as the older generation and who question it (all the aspects, because they will be the ones living with the consequences).
Reply to
T i m

Ophelia is a long time user of Windows Live Mail, despite the problems people have with reading its posts. Her choice of newsreader has been commented upon many times in other groups, such as rec.food.cooking. Windows Live Mail was obsolete many years ago and anyone using it these days does so out of choice.

One might go as far as to say Ophelia likes to provoke people to reply, especially after posting her trademark "+1" responses while quoting very long posts. A very messy post from Windows Live Mail serves the same purpose.

Reply to
Pamela