Glossing

I have bought some Dulux Trade undercoat and Dulux Trade Brilliant White Gloss. I have sanded down the skirts and sills etc. When I have aplied a coat of undercoat, should I give it a light sand and a second coat before glossing or what? Whats the best way to do it for a super smoothe finish.

Thanks

Reply to
Samantha Booth

1 undercoat, light sanding, 1 coat gloss, very light sanding, topcoat of gloss.
Reply to
Phil L

To get a high gloss.... apply the undercoat and use fine wet&dry sand paper ie a light sanding and brush down the surface.

Apply a 1st coat of gloss and leave for 24 hours then use the wet&dry for another light sanding. Apply the final coat of gloss.

Reply to
George

Thanks you two.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

No problem Sammy. The way suggest is less time but but to get a real high gloss or glass finish if you like is to use the wet&dry with soapy water and rub down each gloss coat after 48 hours to give the paint time to cure and set. But if you're in a hurry the prescribed method said earlier will suffice. Personally I prefer to spend some time on painting gloss because when its done come 12 months or 2 years on, alls thats need would be a rub down with turps and we're away with the paint and brush ie no sanding necessary.

Reply to
George

So if I want a real high shine I undercoat, light sand, gloss, rub down with soapy wet and dry (fairy liquid???) then gloss a final coat.......yes?

Sorry all bit confuzzled.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Yes,thats why the paper is called wet&dry. Basically it was used on car body repairs.

Reply to
George

Samantha,

If you want a really good finish, preparation is key. The surface must have no defects before you apply the last top coat, and be completely dust free. You can get this with 600 (or more) wet-and-dry paper used wet, then cleaned with dust wipes. You then top coat it, wait a bit, then curse and repeat because some marks have been made visible by the gloss!

I do this on my wooden sailing dinghy. I never use any kind of soap. Sometimes it looks really nice... and sometimes I find dust in it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Thanks to you all for your help. I want to Do It Myself as much as possible but its knowing how tio do it the right way. I am not going to cut corners on this. Thanks again and hope you dont mind the million and one questions I have. Ta

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Samantha,

Don't hesitate to ask questions, because other people like me also learn from the excellent answers given.

Bruce.

Reply to
Bruce

you have now 98,000 I think? questions left.

;-)

Reply to
George