Dulux paintpod

I have to repaint a whole house including skimmed ceilings would a Dulux paintpod help or should I just use a roller

Reply to
zaax

mask the windows and use a spraygun?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Reply to
Mr Pounder

You would have thought they would have come up with a ceiling painting robot by now... grin

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The paint pod won't help at all. They are complete s**te. We recently helped to paint daughter and son-in-law's house, he insisted on using a paint pod.

The paint is expensive, the coverage is terrible. The design of the roller makes it impossible to get as close to edges as a conventional roller. The paint is thin and watery and you will need at least two coats more than a typical standard paint.

Our plain was "paint everything white" which we usually do to all just bought houses since it provides a good base for colours later on, it's cheap, and it can be done fairly quickly. We used one coat white for much of it and other than in the dirtiest areas it took exactly that. We used good quality rollers and brushes for cutting in, in the time it took SIL to do one room ( it needed four coats) using the paint pod we had finished seven others and the hall, stairs and landing. About 3x more productive on a man-hours basis.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It would probably be the least effort method - you are of course very limited in colours - but if ceilings are the main reason, it might be an idea.

I used a super diameter Harris roller - about 3" dia. That helps as the roller spins slower (less spatter) and it holds more. However, it is very heavy so do not buy a B&Q own brand long pole like I did as it breaks through fatigue. With a decent pole, so you can hold it at waist or chest height, it is not tiring.

A decent paint helps - personally I've always got on well with Dulux Matt for ceilings - decent coverage (you might get away wiht one coat on a nomimally white ceiling - I used 2 because it was on to mist coat on new plaster. Reasonably low on the spatter too, but dust sheets are still essential, especially with carpet.

If it is the whole house in one go, a paint pod might be a sensible idea.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well, I stand corrected on my earlier post...

Reply to
Tim Watts

For whole house job the paint is way too expensive.

Buy a good med pile roller (not foam) and a pole roller for ceilings, and invest in a good trade paint ... much better opacity. Macpherson or (Leyland Trade ) is good and if you go to a Trade Decorating Centre they will colour mix it to whatever you want.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Which is rather a pity, since Dulux paint was (IMHO) one of the best, especially for emulsion.

I certainly don't rate Crown emulsion at all.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Didn't Mr. Bean do an explosive option?

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

Don't confuse Dulux paintpod paint with Dulux emulsion in a tin for use with roller or brush.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Exactly. Since they share the same generic name there's always the slight risk that Joe Public might mentally relate one with the other... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I first saw that approach somewhere I was working - they used Macpherson multi-colour paint, very powerful sparying equipment, and blasted everywhere, then went back to put a bit of gloss as needed.

Minutes to do a room. Very impressive.

Reply to
polygonum

I used that technique to do a factory 30 years ago, with an early HVLP system. The system was so controllable that masking of the windows wasn't needed.

Reply to
grimly4