Cover for whole house fan?

I'm looking for a magnetic cover to block the shutters on the whole house fan (from the downstairs side). Years ago, when I got my first whole house fan, back in the days of the Sears and MW catalogs(!) they were available through those sources. I think I remember them as being plastic, with little magnets that attached to the fan frame. I never bothered, because in that house, there was an actual stair way to the attic, so I'd just go up and throw a quilt over it.

In the new house, there is also a whole house fan. Unfortunately, the only way to the attic is through a little hatch with no fold down steps, even. And I am *past* the point of feeling agile enough to climb my step ladder and get into the attic myself. Let alone get back down! So I'd like to find a magnetic cover I could use from below. I have found a few that use velcro, but I don't want to have to leave the velcro visible year round. (Plus I have hairy dogs, and that always does in any sort of velcro closures!).

Any sources? The fan is maybe about 30x30? I haven't measured. OR does anyone know where I could buy a similar sized piece of that magnetic vinyl (sign) material? Maybe I could make my own. The ones I've seen online all seem to be about 24".

Reply to
Lee B

I cut to fit a piece of 1" white styrofoam and then glued to it self adhesive magnetic strips.

I had to use a better glue than the self adhesive.

I cut it on the TS and beveled the edge to make it look a bit more appealing.

With a white ceiling - it's clearly noticeable, but unless you point it out, most folks won't realize it's there.

Reply to
Kevin

snip

I cover mine with one of those clear vinyl kits they sell for sealing windows in the winter. Double-sided tape around the edge, attach the vinyl, a little heat from a hair dryer pulls it tight and smooth

The styrofoam and magnet idea is interesting except my frame is aluminum

Reply to
Reed

That was gonna be my suggestion. Maybe there is a sign shop where you live?

Reply to
Ron

on 12/5/2008 9:30 PM Lee B said the following:

My WHF is covered with an old blanket in the attic. Be sure to turn off the fan's electric with the on-off switch that is usually mounted on the fan casing in case anyone accidentally turning on the wall switch won't start the fan.

Reply to
willshak

Should not be too difficult to make a cover, and hold it with mirror clips or screws. I know this is different, but I made an attic staircase cover by cutting up a cardboard appliance box and some nylon handles. I fixed a stryrofoam sheet to the top for additional insulation.

Reply to
Phisherman

I did a more complex cover for mine. I built a tray with 1" of styrofoam insulation and built a slide for it. The tray has a handle in the middle of it to slide it back and forth. Now I just reach up with a pole of some sort and push it back and forth when I want to open and close it.

Bill

Reply to
BillGill

visit

for a shutter seal to cover and seal whole hose fans.

Reply to
mark

replying to BillGill, Mary Hendrix wrote: That is what I'm looking for for my own as it is installed over the down stairway. No access to the Attic. I definitely want a slide. Could you send a picture of yours?

Reply to
Mary Hendrix