Is a Whole house fan an asset?

I have a whole housefan in my ranch home, installed in the center, of the home. It works beautifully, especially in the cool nights of the summer. Its a quality unit, that I installed about 10 years ago. It draws air through the windows of all the rooms, out to the attic, and out to the ridge vents and soffit vents. We don't use it anymore ,due to airconditioning, and problems with outside allergies. Down the road, we will be selling the home. We are debating wether to remove it or keep it. We will be repainting and we are thinking about removing it. Will it make any difference in selling our home?

Thaks for your opinon, Andy

Reply to
Bumpy

How could it hurt? If the house inspector doesn't like it, you can then remove it.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

It can't hurt. Why remove it? Not everyone is addicted to A/C. (believe it or not)

S. Barker

it wouldn't be any of the inspectors business. (if there even IS an inspection)

S. Barker

I have them in my house and we use them about half the year but we don't really have a heating season (SW Fla) . The down side is you lose a lot of heat through the louvers when the heat is on. They don't have much of an insulation rating

Reply to
gfretwell

I wouldnt remove it, unless a buyer wants it removed.

you might disable the swich and lay some batt insulation over it to save energy

Reply to
hallerb

I built a insulated cover over it in the attic for the winter. The fan will not start unless the cover is opened.

Reply to
Bumpy

Have one in my ranch house - yes it does cut down on A/C costs - depending on the humidity, I can forego the A/C until it gets above 80 to 85 degress outside.

But I was told that it's not good to use with ridge vents and soffit vents. Right now I have end (gable) vents, and soffit vents put in when I replaced the siding (ridge vents await the roof job down the road..). Is that true?

Banty

Reply to
Banty

They make covers for them, though. Or a DIY'er can make covers. Also, I have an on/off switch next to the attic access.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Just tell the story exactly as you did above. It may actually help sell, as it would cut AC costs during certain seasons. If the people don't like it, they can deal with it, or just not use it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I don't have a permanent one -- just a massive fan placed near a patio door so that it can blow out the entire out. I live in Phoenix and use it when the mornings are cool and cool the entire house down to 50-60 degrees. In the summer, it goes into storage as there is no time of day when it is below 80.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I doubt they really allow enough air flow

Reply to
gfretwell

I imagine that if all you had was soffit and ridge vents it would not be good as you probably don't have enough total opening. I have them plus gable vents and it has worked for 27 years now.

To the OP, Yes, IMO, it is an asset and I'd think it a plus if I was the buyer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Bumpy" wrote

Andy, if I were buying a home, a unit like that would be a major selling point. We use ceiling fans in most rooms here and it really helps us to not need the AC as much whiich in turn saves money and is 'evironmentally friendly' (something we like).

Reply to
cshenk

ceiling fans don't cool a place. They make it feel cooler by aiding your own evaporative cooling (persperation).

A whole fan will cool a place extremely well if, and only if, it is cooler outside.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Then the next question is - once I get the ridge vents, do I need to close up the gable end vents?

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I call the fans an asset! My grandparents had a whole house fan.

They are great for evacuating burnt biscuit smoke also :)

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

That really is the main consideration. A 30" fan requires TEN square feet of exhaust to function to maximum. When you get to figgering vent space, that's quite a bit. And if the fan gets bigger, then the exhaust area multiplies accordingly.

S. Barker

They sell insulated box-shape lids you can drop over them, but you have to get up there twice a year to fuss with it. (Of course, you should have one of those lids over the pull-down staircase as well...)

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I'd call a whole house fan an asset also. We had one in the house I spent grades 8-12 in and it worked great during evenings when it was cool outside. It drew cool air from downstairs (outside) and blew like a hurricane out through the attic. The air temp would drop dramatically and it was cheaper to operate than the air conditioning. We used ours primarily in the spring and fall. Summers were too hot and winters too cold.

I'd love to have one where I live now.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN