Gloss Vs Silk Vinyl

Should I gloss bathroom ceiling or use Silk vinyl.

You comments as always very much appreciated

Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

What is the surface ? P/Board ? use emulsion and I would use Vinyl Matt

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

the_constructor wibbled on Friday 05 February 2010 12:37

Neither - I always use Matt. It's rather more forgiving of imperfections, especially as the lighting usually works against you in that respect.

Dulux Rich Matt seems to have excellent coverage. The "Bathroom" grade stuff looks nice, but coverage is awful - needed 4 coats to get rid of the pencil marks I'd made to position the lights!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Do you want it to act as a partial vapour barrier?

Reply to
PeterC

Definitely neither. Only Matt

Reply to
John

If you can find a Dulux Trade Decorator centre ..they are everywhere I would definitley go there and ask for Diamond Matt ... brilliant paint for kitchen, bathroom walls and ceilings .. and any surface that is going to get rough treatment. Dulux in the big sheds does not really compare.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Neither. Matt emulsion.

Because we had some (can't think why) I did try white silk on the kitchen ceiling. Horrible. Had intended two coats anyway - second was matt.

Reply to
Rod

I only ever did one ceiling with silk and have used mat ever since.

Reply to
Dave

It's a matter of personal taste. I like a satin finish, somewhere between matt and silk emulsion. Much less glossy than silk.

Reply to
Bruce

"the_constructor" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

From the data sheet for Dulux Vinyl Matt: "Water Resistance: Will tolerate the levels of atmospheric humidity present in normal interior environments and will withstand moderate washing. Where frequent heavy condensation is likely, as in some kitchens and bathrooms, Dulux Trade Diamond Quick Drying Eggshell is more suitable."

So I would tend to use a vinyl eggshell/silk finish in a bathroom with heavy condensation and an acrylic (Diamond) silk finish in a kitchen where walls might need to be scrubbed to remove food splatter. Matt everywhere else in the house.

Davy

Reply to
Davy

and if you do not want a shiny finish ... use the Dulux Trade Diamond matt

Mike 2

Reply to
Mike P

Matt gives the nicest finish, but isnt so easy to keep clean, which rather spoils the appearance. Silk is more washable, and ok appearance wise Oil based gloss has better cleanability, but frankly doesnt look that nice, and will need a lot of ventilation while it cures. Silk's a pretty good compromise between appearance and cleananbility imho.

NT

Reply to
NT