Any experience of Thermaseal?

Seems they - Deep clean roof tiles, removing dirt, moss and lichen Apply fungicide Apply 2 layers of their 'unique' micro porous coating.

Sounds like cowboys with a decent glossy flyer. TIA.

Reply to
brass monkey

Never mind, sales guy called and after much lip-flapping quoted £4800. When I told him where to get it came down to £3600, so I told him where to get ;)

Reply to
brass monkey

If you are worried about moss, I recall ?coal-tar? diluted makes them roll up and fall off.

If you are worried about leaks onto ceiling boards near gutters, the sarking felt has probably saturated/rotted/torn; you can replace that bottom part within BR 25% repair limit. That will usually give about

10-20yrs more life and costs under =A31k. Screwfix sell an "A1" branded Type-1F synthetic felt (light), they also do a board which slips under the felt and into the gutter solving the older property problem of wall-plate/guttering miss leaks.

Basically non-interlocking tiles like Marley Eternit are like a venetian blind, if the wind blows hard enough water runs back and can drip onto the sarking (or run back under to the next tile below). The sarking deteriorates at the bottom first re saturation. In theory you could say painting tiles will stop water ingress, but it will also stop the tiles breathing so well if they (concrete) are getting saturated. In practice the paint job is obscenely overpriced - charging nearly half what a proper reroof would cost.

Reply to
js.b1

I would say that that about sums them up. They phoned my wife and made an appointment with *me*. I ukfced them off in a few short minutes.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If you are worried about leaks onto ceiling boards near gutters, the sarking felt has probably saturated/rotted/torn; you can replace that bottom part within BR 25% repair limit. That will usually give about

10-20yrs more life and costs under £1k. Screwfix sell an "A1" branded Type-1F synthetic felt (light), they also do a board which slips under the felt and into the gutter solving the older property problem of wall-plate/guttering miss leaks.

Basically non-interlocking tiles like Marley Eternit are like a venetian blind, if the wind blows hard enough water runs back and can drip onto the sarking (or run back under to the next tile below). The sarking deteriorates at the bottom first re saturation. In theory you could say painting tiles will stop water ingress, but it will also stop the tiles breathing so well if they (concrete) are getting saturated. In practice the paint job is obscenely overpriced - charging nearly half what a proper reroof would cost.

Useful info, cheers. I told this guy I could get a reroof for much less than his quote but he was amazingly persistent. I virtually had to tell him to f off before he got the message. Lemme look to see if he's still out there :)

Reply to
brass monkey