giving the lie to Dyson

Ex Gizmodo

Vacuum makers typically measure suction power by air watts, and Miele claims it can sustain 1,100 watts, while Dyson claims the V11 does 185 watts.

But cords and bags serve a purpose! They?re not inconveniences to triumph over. Have you ever emptied a bagless vac? It?s a challenging task. Plumes of dust billow out, and a stench fills the air unless you use a fresh trash bag and empty the canister at the very bottom of the bag to prevent releasing dust everywhere.

Then there?s the hair/fur/debris that will stick in smaller canisters like the ones on Dyson?s vacs, forcing you to remove it all by hand. If you have pets or allergies or both, bagless vacs are a challenge. I have had at least one roommate who habitually put off emptying ours because it?s such a filthy chore.

The cordless situation isn?t much better. My Dyson V6 lasts a while on a charge, but I?ve already had to spend $35 to replace the battery once, and Dyson might have fixed that issue with the new V11, which improves the power, adds a battery meter, and increases the size of the receptacle while almost making it easier to empty.

Reply to
billyorange007

Yes the, I have a bosch. Nice bac, but all the many filters need to be removed from nooks and crannies all washed and dried then all put back to gather. If you fail to do this every couple of months the thing gets so clogged that the cyclone fails to cyclone and the motor gets hot and the protection kicks in and of course nothing gets taken up. Bah Humbug. The Hennry just works. it has bags. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

and Hetty

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

well it might be a challenge for you. I would hope it isn't for the rest of us.

There certainly is a price to pay for cordlessness. A lot of people want to pay it.

And no vacuum cleaner produces 1100 airwatts.

185 watts may seem low, and it is, but historic vacs of around that power got the job done. With today's tech they can do it a lot better. Last Oreck I used was 160 watts.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Really ? Would you care to substantiate that ?

Reply to
billyorange007

You're gettimg confused between watts and air-watts

Reply to
fred

In my view the hype surrounding Dyson?s is nonsense. The one we had, a top of the range at the time, was flimsy, the fan made of the thin metal and only replaceable if you bought a motor, the plastic brittle.... I kept it going by taking parts from another broken one a friend rejected until they ran out. The replacement Henry has hardly missed a beat- a new hose and some contacts for the power cord ring assembly in about 18 years. Even the hose could have been repaired but Senior Management wanted a 4m one.

Reply to
Brian Reay

We have a small cordless, a Vax, originally bought for the previous motorhome. It is ok for small areas but too small for even a proper clean of a decent sized motorhome. We ended up with a small budget, mains, cylinder like own brand beast from Argos we keep in the motorhome garage/boot. Under £40 well spent. Reading the reviews some people use them at home, keeping one on each floor they are so cheap.

Reply to
Brian Reay

If nothing else, the idea of one PRODUCING Watts, let alone AIR Watts is and interesting concept, to put it mildly.

Reply to
Brian Reay

google it

Reply to
billyorange007

like everything else ...people believe the hype then find out they are crap ....that's life......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

no more than a car engine producing bhp at the wheel.

'airwatts' would be the kinetic energy added to the air per second

Something it's actually reasonably easy to measure if you suck through an air flow meter.

I'm not saying that anyone actually does, but the concept is valid.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Die-soons

they didnt work any better than a conventinal vaccuum. But the air bag is transparent so you can see the dirt and see when its full. So they worked better for people who never emptied the bag.

Therest was 'cliamte change' pseudo science and marketing. Ther is no treason to suppose a 'cyclone' is better at separaing all grades of dust from the air than a filter. And in many cases it is known to be worse.

And die soons have cloggable replaceable filters

As far as cordless goes, you can thank the model aircraft industry for small 'digital' motors and lithium ion powerpacks.

We beta tested that shit to destruction in the early noughties and debeloped the drive electrronics too.

Now its in every power tool you can think of

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I bought a new henry, for £100 and then I bought a seconf hand refurbed one for £50, so I didnt have to keep lugging them around from one end of the house to te other...one is now cobe=vered in paint and plaster dust...

I may yet get a third

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A guy in our town used to have a shop selling appliances, all makes/models not just vacs but white goods too.

Now he solely repairs and services Dysons. Speaks volumes.

Reply to
R D S

yes

it already has substance. Show us one you think does if you want to waste your time. Those of us that understand the relevant physics know why no such [domestic] beast is on sale.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

don't be stupid

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not a challenge or a problem on our bagless Miele.

Try a Miele if the Dyson doesn't work?

I have a 30 yr old numatic hoover. A Henry without the eyes and with a

1000watt motor. Noisy but works a treat. Sucks hard. TW
Reply to
TimW

so you can't or won't substantiate your claim ?

Reply to
billyorange007