Wiki question - am I reading this wrong?

From

"Eighteenth Edition Regulation 521.10.202 requires cables to be adequately supported against their premature collapse in the event of a fire. This applies throughout the installation and not just in escape routes. This new requirement (which comes into effect from 1 January 2019) will make it

*compulsory to use metal cable fixings within the whole installation*

and not only on fire resistant cables.

*This does not mean that every cable clip must be non-metallic*

but the cable must be fully supported in the event of a fire."

I've tried to outline the two apparently contradictory phrases with asterisks, but this news reader has a mind of its own.

I think the second phrase should say:

"This does not mean that every cable clip must be metallic"

Could someone confirm, please?

Thanks

Dave R

Reply to
David

you're correct!

and

is not correct. Other suitable means are also fine, such as burial in plaster or sitting on concrete.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The reasoning was to prevent cables drooping down over doorways when the clips melted. Logic says you could use a plastic one if it's not over a doorway.

Reply to
charles

Yup the wording on that is not quite right. I have done a revised version and changed the order a little to make it flow a bit better. See if this is better:

John Rumm

Yes, that looks more logical.

I wonder if the old style lead (?) fold over clips with a nail in the middle from days long gone will come back into fashion.

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. it does show that someone reads the Wiki now and then. :-)

Reply to
David

Yup, you an a quarter of a million others for that page if the count is to be believed :-) (counter is probably only a very rough guide)

Reply to
John Rumm

Interesting, I don't hear asterisks, well unless I set symbols to all but that seems to be very very tedious!

I would have thought it relatively common sence that in a fire any cables going across walking places need to be very robustly held up. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes I'd imagine this has come about due to the number of plastic clips and widgets and conduit in use with pvc cables and the like going every which way. It must be a nightmare for firemen at the very least if cabling dangling could be live and possibly exposed. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Your voice software should understand that text between asterisks is bold and text between slashes is italic.

Not sure how it would render italic though - perhaps a slurred drunken sound?

It follows the deaths of firefighters Jim Shears and Alan Bannon at an inferno at Shirley Towers in Southampton in 2010.

An inquest into the two men's deaths ruled that fallen cables and melted plastic trunking which was meant to hold it in place were found to be a contributory factor in their deaths.

Fallen cables were also highlighted as a factor in the deaths of firefighters Michael Millar and Jeff Wornham, and a civilian, at Harrow Court in Stevenage, Hertfordshire, in February 2005.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog