NEC Question

This problem arised in an irrigation pump house. The electric was done b/4 the roof covering was put on. The roofer put the shingles on and the pumps quit. Turns out, the electrician ran the electric along the rafters, right against the sheathing. A nail from putting the shingles on penetrated the electric. The electrician claims the roofer should have used shorter nails, but I understand nails must penetrate at least 1/2" -3/4" through the sheathing. I say the electrician did a no-no running the electric to close to the sheathing along the rafters. Does anyone know which code the electrician violated? BTW, the property is considered agriculture, where as we didn't need any building permits. Thanks.

Reply to
Kirkland

The wires shoulda been run along the center face of the rafters, or possibly the bottom edge, to avoid the specific problem you're having. The electrician knows this, he just screwed up. I'm not sure if it is in the code, or just accepted wiring practice, but it is enforced by the electrical inspectors here. If no one else comes up with an authoritative answer, I'll try to look it up later.

(I'm trying to figure out if the roofer was in any danger of being electrocuted, or if he was isolated well enough that if the nail just punctured the hot wire he'd still be OK. I think he could have been electrocuted if he was standing on a metal laddar or scaffold to work near the edge of the roof. He should raise hell about this too)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Qoute from NEC (2002) Section 300.4(D) Cables and Raceways Parallel to Framing Members.

"In both exposed and concealed locations, where a cable- or raceway-type wiring metod is installed parallel to framing members, such as joists, rafters, or studs, the cable or raceway _shall_ be_ installed and supported so that the nearest outside surface of the cable or raceway is not less than

32mm (1 1/4 in.) from the nearest edge of the framing member where nails or screws are likely to penetrate. Where this distance cannot be maintained, the cable or raceway shall be protected from penetration by nails or screws by a steel plate, sleeve, or equivalent at least 1.6mm (1/16 in.) thick.

Exception No.1: Steel plates, sleeves, or the equivalent shall not be required to protect rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, or electrical metallic tubing.

Exception No.2: For concealed work in finished buildings, or finished panels for prefabricated buildings where such supporting is impracticable, it shall be permissible to fish the cables between access points."

Reply to
volts500

Hi, Code or not, it is common sense thing. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Why was the wiring exposed? I would have had the wiring run in conduit. Sounds like romex was used. You bet your bippy the sparky gets to fix it.

Reply to
SQLit

:-)) Wow. You have a hard-on, don't you?

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Wiring in garages and out buildings typically does not need to be run in conduit, although there are exceptions. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Thanks for this, now we'll see what the company that did the electric has to say.

Reply to
Kirkland

I used to think that you were just a pathetic loser who had no regard for the lives and safety of others as long as your fragile ego remained intact, but it's clear now that you are indeed someone to be pitied.

Reply to
volts500