giving the lie to Dyson

effectiveness, not efficiency. Otherwise I agree, since I know some basic physics, unlike some.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

doesn't cause any loss of suction with cyclones. Dysons do suffer loss of effectiveness over time, but the mechanism of that is something else.

Bags & bagless cloth/paper filter machines when full do of course lose suction.

Lots of people find it easier & cheaper to not buy bags.

I've never had that happen

or that

no you don't

depends.

it's trivial. Dyson filters don't normally clog of course.

There's no shortage of cheapie & usually badly designed cloth/paper filter baglesses that do need unclogging. Ya takes yer choice.

IME it's quicker & easier to empty a dyson or many other bagless machines

Most dysons have good pickup. Not all though.

no. It's easier not to go there and get any bags though.

I have 2 dysons. First has lasted about 6 years with no repairs. Needed a £20 part when I got it because the bit was missing.

2nd has lasted over a year with no parts. So 7 machine years with £0 spent on parts. You predicted over 7x9.50 = over £66.50.

Mine haven't broken once. Nor have any of the other vacs I own or use, except one, an oldie that accidentally encountered gravel. Any dirty airstream fan is not likely to survive gravel.

No vac combines all the plus points. Like cars the good points are often mutually exclusive. Dysons are quite good, long as you don't pay new price for them.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

We have a Henry for everyday use (I am heppy to carry it up and down stairs, but my wife is not able to due to illness) and we also have a George for cleaning carpets, it is a little too big to use as an everyday vac, but otherwise is just a Henry with washing added.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Oh dear, try following the thread.

Reply to
Brian Reay

So why does it need to be recharged or, if not cordless, plugged into to the mains?

Reply to
Brian Reay

No different to referring to the powerstation "producing" MWs - both are turning energy in one form into another. It is perfectly valid terminology.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

To re energise its production system

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In this case only because the reply was quick. If the reply had been in a few days time and the previous posting forgotten the reply may have become completely meaningless without quoting what had previously been written. I initially missed the reply because I was looking at the end of the posting for the information.

Top posting can be a PITA in a newsgroup with so many daily postings however I do agree that some people don't seem to cut the non-relevant quoting.

Reply to
alan_m

If your OLD Henry it's the same basic design as the Henrys that have been around for 10+ years you don't need to wash the filter if you buy some bags for it.

I recommend the Hepaflo bags

alan_m

Oh dear.

No wonder people fall for the treehuggers? nonsense.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Yes they fall for all this stuff but they will regret it when they soon find they can't fly for their holidays .....tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Do you have a motorhome? It's just that you mentioned 'motorhome' three times in a short paragraph. It looks like you like to mention 'motorhome' as often as possible.

Reply to
Spike

I am.

Reply to
tabbypurr

On Thu, 27 Jun 2019 07:54:26 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..." snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote: <snip>

Whilst they may, I wonder if they would still regret it if the pollution that created (for their unnecessary[1] trip) was piped into their homes?

Cheers, T i m

[1] Once we have managed all the pollution we generate on the ground (irrespective of any GW etc) we *WILL* look to doing the same in the skies (and already are of course).
Reply to
T i m

You were the man who said produced. Miel claims it can sustain 1100watts. And yes,we can all use Google

" yhe SI unit of power, equivalent to one joule per second, corresponding to the rate of consumption of energy in an electric circuit where the potential difference is one volt and the current one ampere."

Reply to
billyorange007

Any machine that does something useful takes energyu, and proiduces power, to do something that is wanted.

In the case of a car, its to accelerate it to speed and maintain that speed againbst drag. Here the relevannt outoput power would be brake horsepower at the wheel.

In the case of a vacuum cleaner it's to accelerate air, to create a draught that sucks up dust. A flow meter on the input hose gives you this power exactly and directly. The half the mass of air per second, times the velocity squared, is the output air watts of the device when unloaded.

Since the mass of air per second is proportional to the cross sectional area times the velocity, this boils down to some constant times the tube cross sectional area, times the cube of the air velocity.

It is the inverse equation to wind turbine power.

Ultimately leaving all the marketing shit aside, it is actually one of the better ways to compare vacuum cleaners for efficiency. It should be about 50% of the input electrical power, the rest being heat. For sure my vacuum cleaners produce what feels lakie a 500W fan convectors worth of heat.

IT will also take into account efficiency loss via airflow through fiters and bags.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We'll go for leisurely cruises by airship. Or unpowered balloons where the wind takes us - while robots on the ground do all the work.

Reply to
Max Demian