gas cooker or electric?

A bugger to cleam, as they don't have stay-clean liners. I use mine mainly for plate warming.

My fan oven is much faster getting to temperature than the convection or fan oven options on the microwave, even though the microware also switches on the grill element to speed up the initial warm-up. Speed of heating up does vary enormously between different electric ovens - something you might want to look into if it's important to you.
--
Andrew Gabriel
writes:

True. And you cant put the whole bowl in the dishwasher like you can with a halogen oven.

Didn't think of that, thanks for that.
I use mine for the stuff I used to do on the hob, frozen veg, potatoes microwaved in their jackets, and rice etc, with just the microwave, no convection.

I don't find the speed of the non fan conventional oven is any big deal myself, I don't even bother to preheat even when the recipe calls for that, just start if from cold with the food in it with everything and that works fine.

I don't know if it is still trendy to have the gas jets out of sight behind a metal sheet with holes in, which end up with one flat flame all over? They are awful.
Remember the last couple of winters and consider what you will do in the next power cut!
On 5/29/2014 2:24 PM, Tahiri wrote:

Apart from the fact that I like cooking on gas hobs, they are, indeed, very useful during power cuts!

We still have what was my Grandmother's Canon gas cooker working in the family (probably bought around 1981), and that has timed operation of the gas oven. Or it did until about 5 years ago when the time clock stripped the plastic cogs, as the mechanical ones evenually all do.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Thu, 29 May 2014 06:41:06 -0400, S Viemeister

Thanks for all the replies. It seems there is a lot of recommendation for gas and induction hobs and electric ovens. One thing that hasn't been mentioned much is grills and it was criticism of one particular grill that made me start this thread. I do think grill performance might be model specific. Induction is not an option here (obviously) so which way would you go: electric or gas? I suppose you have no choice as it comes bundled with the oven, so if you have an electric oven, you are going to have an electric grill.
On 30/05/2014 09:42, Stephen wrote:

All I'll say is that a fan assisted oven is a must, and these tend to be electric AFAIK We pushed the boat out with a dual fuel freestanding job but ONLY because it had a shut down lid that wasn't glass. I don't like having to worry about breaking it

I much prefer electric myself.

You can get separate grills, all electric that I have noticed.
Haven't noticed anyone saying that gas ovens are better tho, so that's all rather academic.
And I don't believe that anything but a grill works very well for some stuff like steaks and chops etc except maybe a BBQ.
On Friday, 30 May 2014 09:42:27 UTC+1, Stephen wrote:

Yes, the on thing I don't like about my electric grill is it's hieght or rather lack of it, which means bending down and watching for my toast to burn. Also it's far easier to foirget your grilling untill the smoke alarm goes off. I really liked the idea of an eye level grill it sort of made sense, but it does seem rare to get one on a standard electric oven.
On 30/05/2014 13:45, whisky-dave wrote:

Our built in double oven as a grill that you can easily watch, and it it is easy to get a roast out of the main oven. It was made by Creda and has lasted very well.
--
Michael Chare

I don't do toast in the grill, essentially because a toaster works much better.

Another good reason for using a toaster instead.

I'm not convinced that it does myself with steak and chops and snags etc.

For the reasons above presumably.
On Fri, 30 May 2014 09:42:27 +0100, Stephen wrote:

The best grill I ever had was gas and called "sola" or similar. A surface burner with a blank bit in the middle, absolutely even in cooking.
I've yet to find an electric grill that is similar so the simple laws of illumination mean the central area of the grill cooks at least twice as fast as the edges, meaning you have to keep shuffling food from hot to cool areas to maintain even cooking.
It's not rocket science but there doesn't seem to be any real thought put into getting cookers to do things without constant attention and in an ergonomic manner. Our current cooker has, IMHO, a bad layout for the hob knobs along the front panel. They go BL FL FR BR but when you stand in front of the cooker prespective makes the rear two rings "closer together and between" the front two. To me the ergonomic layout of knobs should be FL BL BR FR.
--
Cheers
Dave.

I don't get that at all, but I do the steak on the very heavy cast iron plate things that you put on a wooden thing to eat off. All I ever have to do is turn whats on that plate.

Mine are down the side.

I've always preferred eye level gas grills but they are like hen's teeth on modern cookers. Best one I ever used in a domestic kitchen was a small gas salamander fitted on wall. But that requires space - and arguably a complete absence of aesthetic judgment ;)
One other point which is only relevant to those approaching decrepitude: I've noticed how ovens in conventional cookers/ranges can be a pain for the elderly. We plan to switch to built-in oven(s) soon(ish) in the hope of living long enough to get the benefit. And I suppose that does at least put the grill at a better height than in a freestanding.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Hello,
I've seen these whilst flicking through the shopping channels on free view. Never seen one in real life nor know any who has. What are they like?
In theory they should be good as the glass bowl will let you see what is happening inside and being small, it should warm up quickly I would have thought, and the glass bowl could be easily washed.
They sound too good to be true; are they?
Thanks, Stephen.

Mate of mine suggested I try one. Never had any regrets doing that.

Excellent and I would never go back to using a conventional oven for some stuff.

Yes, that is one real advantage with them.

And use a lot less power than a full sized conventional oven for some stuff like heating a pie or pastry wrapped chicken breast etc.

Yes. But they are big enough so they do take up quite a bit of space in the dishwasher.

Nope, they are much better than the alternatives for some stuff.
The main thing I still prefer the conventional oven for is the potatoes that go with a roast.
I still prefer those done in deep fat that covers half of the potato in a conventional oven.
Not with the leg of lamb etc tho, those are just as good in the halogen oven.
And they are so cheap that you arent risking much to try one.