Gas compression fittings - how to make good?

I'm about to connect the gas supply to my newly installed boiler and I need some advice about the compression fitting used. As supplied it is just a standard tap type connector with a fibre washer as the seal. Is this sufficient? Do I need to wrap the threads in yellow PVC tape or apply any sort of compound? Any other things I need to know?

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve North

See the Gas Fitting FAQ at

Set Square

don't think I covered this in the FAQ. I'm fairly sure that acceptable gas joints are:

Soldered. Threaded with gas tape or Boss white Back-nut and long screw (a coupling method for steel pipe). Compression where accessible. I've seen gas appliances which have some sort of internal proprietry couplings Usully involving a machined ball-cup or cone-cone mating. Sometime you see ground flat faced couplings usually sealed with a neoprene washer or maybe a fibre one.

I presume the coupling is like the last one listed in some way.

The installation instruction will say what to do it sounds like the connection is BSP threaded with a washer at the end.

Is the connection on the boiler a threaded hole or a peice of threaded pipe? Either way you will want to connect it with the CORRECT fitting. A smear (and mean only a smear) of boss white may help if seal is made on the washer against flat metal. Without seeing it I can't say for sure but it is very likely the manufacturers intend you to seal on the washer NOT the threads. Which make and model?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Only Corgi registered plumbers are allowed to connect gas supplies to appliances

Reply to
kipper

And get paid for it.

Any "competent person" can do gas work for themselves.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

oh dear, here we go again

:-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

No, we've been through this. Please check earlier threads.

The law requires:

1) Anybody doing gas fitting work to be competent. it does not define "competent" 2) an employed, self employed person or a firm doing gas fitting for reward must be a CORGI member and, by implication, be appropriately qualified. 3) In the case of work on properties rented out, all work must be done by a CORGI fitter.

The law does not exclude somebody from doing gas fitting work on their own property but does require them to be competent. The HSE has the responsibility for enforcement and acknowledges that DIY gas fitting does take place. It does not say that it is illegal and moreover does not believe that it causes problems that require legislation.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

(all together) .... Oh, no they're not!

(IOW, other people can, and they might even be more 'competent').

Reply to
Bob Eager

The Keston system kit comes with those for making the external connections for water and gas. IIRC, it has a gas one inside too. I think they're used where you want a joint which is suitable for repeated dis/assembly but remains reliable.

I used to service my parents' Ideal Standard boiler (which was replaced about 5 years ago at the age of 35 years old) and that used them for the internal gas connections which you had to disassemble each time you serviced it to get the burner assembly out. They work very nicely for this purpose.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I had a couple of Baxi Bermudas in the past - where the gas connection used a "Crane Joint" - which was a cast iron fitting having male and female ground conical bits which were held together by a large nut. You had to undo this to withdraw the burner assemble for servicing or repair operations.

Reply to
Set Square

..unlike the morons behing the proposed Part P building regs, who believe that an electrical expert is not 'competent' unless they have paid membership to the appropriate 'trade body' cartel....

Reply to
Mike Harrison

electrical expert

cartel....

Indeed. I wrote letters to MPs, government ministers and to the IEE pointing out the phony statistics and the error of their ways, as did others. The seed fell on stony ground.