Compression fitting on gas meter outlet

I am about to put in a new boiler and need to upgrade the gas pipe. Currently its a steel pipe with some sort of compression fitting to the meter. I want to use 22mm copper. What sort of compression fitting is required to connect this to the meter. I have fitted two other boilers and extended gas pipes but have never needed to replace the old pipe.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Jones

When I needed to do this, I left a few inches of 22mm pipe, and then used a reducer (in reverse) to go up to 28mm. The short length of

22mm isn't going to matter much, but it's worth increasing the size to 28mm before the first elbow (if you run it through the pressure drop calculations anyway).
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Does the steel pipe connect directly to the meter, or is there a short length of flexible pipe (lead or whatever) between the two? If the latter, the chances are that the non-meter end of the flexible has a fitting which simply screws onto the end of the steel pipe - which is probably threaded

3/4" BSP. In this case, you can keep the flexible pipe, and fit a 3/4 male iron (so called) to 22mm solder fitting, and then continue with your copper pipework. The thread will, of course, need sealing with gas-grade PTFE tape or similar.
Reply to
Set Square

Best go to BES and get a new meter outlet that connects directly onto the meter outlet and a suitable connector at the other end.

IMM

Meter outlet connections are readily obtainable with the installation side end in 1" or 3/4" or 22mm spigot or 28mm spigot. If you are referring to steel pipes it will be a threaded joint.

See FAQ. Don't go beyond what you are competant to do. etc.etc.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks It is actually the connection to the steel flexable tube from the meter, which sounds like the 3/4" male to 22mm connector mentioned earlier.

Reply to
Stephen Jones