Garage door draught excluder

Hi,

I am about to fit a draught excluder to my up and over garage door. I have a real muppet question - should this be fitted to the inside or the outside of the door?

I assumed that it should go on the inside so that the seal folds under the door as it closes, however I notice that a neighbour has one fitted to the outside. Who is correct?

The draught excluder in question is this:

to say, the above item came with no fitting instructions...

Andy.

Reply to
Andrew Macphail

In my view you are as it'll be very difficult to get a seal between the mounting strip and the door unless you bed it on exterior grade silicon or similar. Without such a seal water running down the face of the door will simply run behind the mounting strip. Having said that with it mounted on the rear and folding under it might make opening the door difficult as it'll tend to dig into the ground.

I went for a brush version rather than a flap mainly because the concrete along the line of the door base is none to smooth or flat. There is also a small 1" step up into the garage for the door/brush to come against. Couple of strips of old heavy duty rubber backed carpet up to the pivot points stop a lot of powder snow or leaves coming through the gap at the side as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It does the same on the front.

Using a brush version as you suggested might be the better option, where did you find one?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

How about mounting it at an angle so that the rubber blade ends up at, say, a 45 degree angle against the ground?

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

When I sealed our garage door I didn't require a total seal- just one good enough to limit the draughts and keep out the leaves etc. I used some plastic DPM- it comes in rolls about 6" wide.

For the top and sides I pop-riveted (with some washers) a strip to the door in the inside which over-lapped the "gap" and a bit of the frame. A few cut-outs are needed for the locks etc.

For the bottom I folded a bit of DPM length ways and pop-riveted to the inside of the door so it just touched the floor. I trimmed it abit so the electric door opened could cope with the extra friction.

It has been in place for (about) 10 years and still seems to do the job. I'm not claiming it is draught proof but you can't notice the draughts unless you look for them.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

That sounds like the voice of experience. B-)

At least on the front it would be easier to get at to lift where it is snagging, assuming it's not snagging along it's whole length.

Now you're asking, probably B&Q. I think I've seen them in there fairly recently, the bristles are about 3cm long. There are shorter bristled one for ordinary doors you might getaway with a few of them if the ground it has to seal against is fairly flat and close to the door.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Me too. I bought some uPVC strip from Wickes, cut it to length (IOW, the width of the doors), closed the door and stood the strip upright (so it was resting on the ground), then fastened it to the door with self-tappers & silicone. Et voila! No more mice. And lots fewer draughts.

Reply to
Huge