funeral arrangements ( DIY) possibly off topic

If 'Other Half' is a he, then he will probably depart first.

Reply to
Andrew

It's not unknown for these companies to go bust because they underestimated the effect of inflation.

  • Fraud.
Reply to
Andrew

The FCA is dealing with that. At last.

Reply to
GB

There's a lot of truth in that, but not when it's severe brain-chemistry induced illness.

People say they're depressed when they mean they're pissed off at the moment. It's like saying you've got brain cancer when you have a headache.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Of course he would. Claiming there is no will when there is is illegal.

If there is a will lodged elsewhere and an external executor, the thing has to go to probate before hubby can touch anything without committing fraud, and if there is a clause specifically saying that cremation will be penalised, it will be

Not tort. Criminal offence.

If there is a well structured will which clearly states 'no burial=no dosh', and the hubby is aware of it and its lodged with a solicitor, hubby is in criminal doggy doo if he claims there isn't and seeks a settlement based on intestacy, and if you really want some tort, leave it to a charity that can sue if it doesn't get it.

" Caroline Woodhouse, sister of Ian Woodhouse, deceased, has just received a four month prison sentence, suspended for 18 months, after clearing out her brother's bank accounts and redeeming his insurance policy just days after his funeral. Mr Woodhouse had other sisters and it appears, therefore, that his estate ought to have been split between all the siblings.

The rules regarding the administration of an estate are set out in the Administration of Estates Act 1925 and, specifically, section 25 sets out the duties of an executor. In the present case it appears that Mrs Woodhouse not only acted in breach of any duties she may have owed to the estate and its beneficiaries as an executor but, in appropriating these assets, she was also guilty of theft."

The solution here is to appoint other beneficiaries and an executor who can act to put a brake on 'hubby' . A good solicitor required, and possibly even a 'dead man's handle' so if e.g. no communication is received every week from the person, enquiries as to her safety and well being are made. I remember once drawing up a contract 'don't you trust me?' 'A contract means I don't *have* to trust you'.

Wills are covered by extensive case law, Hire a solicitor and tell him what you want.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If deceased has care ongoing, or if hubby is getting attendance allowance, I can assure you social services want to know if she pops her clogs

And if you don't tell them and pocket the dosh, that too is criminal.

The number of people who need to be informed when someone dies is vast. Banks, Insurance companies, DHSS, DLV, Inland Revenue...you need dozens of death cerificates and probate as well before you start to tidy up the mess.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, of course. But, surely your post as suggesting they would be interested in whether the OP is buried or cremated. Plus, the ambulance service and the police!

Reply to
GB

This is clearly nothing at all to do with what I wrote. So, it's daft that you replied to my post, and said it's verging on fantasy.

Reply to
GB

Bearing in mind I said "deny knowledge of any will" please tell us (a) what offence and (b) what evidence you would adduce that he lied rather than forgot?

We are addressing the funeral, not the estate. As GB pointed out, there is no property in a corpse. It is *not* part of the estate.

You are again confusing the funeral with the administration of the estate. They are not one and the same.

Reply to
Robin

This.

Explain exactly what you want to the people that will provide the service, pay for it. (In Trenznal it is currently possible to pay now, die later, and any price increases in the services are offset by the service provider retaining the money from now till then.)

There is still the chance that you could be buried differently, but this would means forfeiting the money already paid, so unlikely in the circumstances you describe:-) The service providers have been (pre-)paid by you, and might be talked into doing it differently -- but not at a lesser cost!

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Wrong. Some will give the one organising the burial a refund of part of what is paid if they choose to go for a cheaper burial.

Reply to
Jock

A Modest Proposal:

First, prepay a funeral of choice.

Then, get a tattoo "Do not cremate!", plus further instructions to contact XYZ?

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Or get a pacemaker!

See article below...

Thomas Prufer

Pacemaker explosions in crematoria: problems and possible solutions Christopher P Gale, BSc MRCP and Graham P Mulley, DM FRCP Author information Copyright and License information Disclaimer This article has been cited by other articles in PMC. Go to: Abstract

The number of artificial cardiac pacemakers is increasing, as is the number of bodies being cremated. Because of the explosive potential of pacemakers when heated, a statutory question on the cremation form asks whether the deceased has a pacemaker and if so whether it has been removed. We sent a questionnaire to all the crematoria in the UK enquiring about the frequency, consequences and prevention of pacemaker explosions. We found that about half of all crematoria in the UK experience pacemaker explosions, that pacemaker explosions may cause structural damage and injury and that most crematoria staff are unaware of the explosive potential of implantable cardiac defibrillators. Crematoria staff rely on the accurate completion of cremation forms, and doctors who sign cremation forms have a legal obligation to provide such information.

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

That won't work unless the tatoo is on her forehead because hubby is free to tell the cremation place to not change any of the clothing, cremate her as supplied and even with the forehead he is free to paint over the tattoo with makeup and tell the operation to do nothing to the body except cremate it.

Reply to
Jock

So hubby is free to lie on the form or even get someone to remove it before it goes to the operation doing the cremation. Or even DIY its removal.

Reply to
Jock

I never said that. I said they would be interested in the fact of her death... Plus, the ambulance

got to take the body away in something. And if there is even a whiff of oddity about the death, bobby will be there.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I was tresponding to the suggestion that hubby would simply not tell anyone she was dead. Chuck her on the stove and pocket the cash

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher