On/Off Topic Question

This is both on and off topic. First the off topic. Has anyone else experienced a strange white stuff growing on thier concrete? It looks like a cross between a crystal and a fungal growth and shows up mostly on polished concrete surfaces like garage floors where it eventually eats into the cement. I have no idea what this stuff is and I'm sorry I dont have a picture of it. It seems to grow mostly after the concrete gets damp or wet.

Now the on topic. I would love to know what this stuff is and if anyone might know how to get rid of it because it is now growing on a one of my terracotta pots and I'm concerned for the plant in the pot.

Any advice or help or even just comments are welcome

Shell

Reply to
Shell

It is salt.

It is salt.

Reply to
Hank Snatch

Blame it on Emeril Lagasse.

He puts far too much salt on everything!!!!

Use vinegar to remove it.

Reply to
Cereus-longispinus

Salt? Strange... Shell

Reply to
Shell

Emeril...ech, don't like his show

Vinegar huh? If you're serious I'll try it since I have to refinish my garage floor anyway

Shell

Reply to
Shell

"Efflorescence Water that moves through a material in a liquid state can also produce many harmful effects. The most obvious is the efflorescence that often disfigures the face of a building. Migrating water dissolves salts from some position inside the material and then deposits them on the surface as the water evaporates. Usually this effect is not destructive but merely disfiguring. If a vapour-permeable but water-repellent membrane is applied to the outer face of the wall, however, the water may be caused to evaporate from behind it, so that the salts are deposited behind the surface layer and the resulting force of crystallization can cause the skin to spall. The subject of efflorescence has already been dealt with at considerable length in CBD 2 and need not be examined further here. It should be noted, however, that the spalling produced by the crystallization of salts behind the surface of the material is very similar in appearance to that produced by frost action, and in many cases it is difficult to determine which mechanism has caused it. Surface treatment of masonry may promote further complications if it restricts the escape of vapour that is migrating from inside the building. This vapour may be forced to condense behind the surface and lead to, trouble under freezing conditions.

Leach>This is both on and off topic. First the off topic. Has anyone else

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Thanks for the information. I was a bit worried since we live within a few miles of three of the top superfund sites, at least two of which can't be cleaned up and have been cemented over.

Shell

water-repellent

Reply to
Shell

Efflorescence. You've got water moving through the concrete. See here:

Too much fertilizer, or your water is saline. Leach.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Well, we don't fertilise the yard so I'm wondering if there may be a leak under the slab in the garage area. Just what I need.

Shell

Reply to
Shell