FreeSat.

"The Freesat App is a free app for all TV viewers which helps you find whats (sic) on across 200 channels."

There's an EPG for that. Personally, I don't find swiping through a list on a phone/tablet screen any easier than using the EPG

I do find using a paper based list much easier, in fact I would go as far as saying necessary.

what does being "a Freesat customer" mean?

Reply to
tim...

Allows you to plan your evening viewing while at the office?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I plan my weekly "viewing" a few days before the week starts when I buy the listing mag and set up all my "records" for the week

My evening viewing is made up on the fly from whatever is sitting, unwatched, on my PVR

Reply to
tim...

Hmmm... Not sure, maybe similar to being a customer of pretty much anything else? Sky customer, BT customer drug pusher on the corner customer?

Reply to
Richard

Except that you pay directly for all of those, while you pay for Freesat through advertising.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Presumably there's some sort of fee from the box manufacturer to 'freesat' for use of the name and access to technical standards for the EPG?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well through increased product cost actually.

I always try to by the lesser known brand on the basis I get more product and less 'celebrity love island special' for my money

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

the question with FS is:

do they mean a consumer of the FS product

or

the owner of a FS branded recording device

Is this app function specific to FS branded devices, or will it work with any FS receiver?

Reply to
tim...

I don't see why there should be.

Certainly when I stuck a PC card in my PC and hooked it up to a dish, there was no charge for downloading the EPG.

And the free software certainly understood its format.

There is a great deal of thought going into what is is useful to charge for, what *can* be charged for as well as what *ought* to be charged for.

Take Linux as an example...its an open standard that many many salaried people are paid to maintain, and yet it is essentially free.

What you pay for, is the router, the set top box, the supercomputer...the web server - that use it. And for support, if you need help using it.

Its in everybody's interest to make freesat as accessible as possible, so that mugs buy the advertised products.

Why would they charge for it?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, but you've not got a nice flowery freesat logo, have you?

The EPG (unlike the now/next) is encrypted, but that was cracked.

Because it does take /some/ effort to develop the freesat EPG, to support STV manufacturers, or in the case of freeview, the spec for the "play" rewind feature, etc.

Reply to
Andy Burns

i dont currently have a dish, either :=)

You didn't read what I wrote. Why does that mean they would charge for it?

I am sure the current adverts for whatever it is cost a packet to make, but they are free to air ..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And...?

Reply to
Richard

I don't know. I am assuming that the OP is using a device which states that it is Freesat. Which I would assume meant that it would be Freesat branded compatible.

Reply to
Richard

I wasn't referring to the OP's post

But to the information in the apps marketing information (on the website)

Reply to
tim...

I must have missed the adverts on the BBC progs on Freesat?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I think that is the main practical difference. Apart from only tuning in the progs in its guide. With non FreeSat software, you can just download everything on that satellite group then delete what you don't want - or make a favourites list.

I've not played with it enough to find out if you can go backwards in time on the EPG and view say yesterdays progs on everything. If so it will be better than FreeView which is selective with this feature.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Not only d'ye pay for Sky, but the swines *still* give you ads.

Reply to
Tim Streater

With this TV, you get the choice of FreeSat or normal (which they call other)

The FreeSat setup is ideal for those who only want basically UK progs. Assuming your dish is working, you just hit auto tune and it does everything for you - similar to FreeView.

If you want other, it wipes the FreeSat settings, and starts again. And is then just a conventional FTA receiver. Where you can select the satellites you want, and whether to download everything (and sort it out later) or ignore encrypted stuff etc.

Ideally, it would have given you the choice of doing both. Having FreeSat and other as selectable 'EPGs' that you could swap between easily. In the same way as you select FreeSat or FreeView.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

OK.

Richard

Hell will freeze over before I'll pay for Sky.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News