FreeSat.

my FS box was capable of being used in non-FS mode

but doing so completely crippled the recording facility

and as the motivation for having the box was to enable time shifting of programs on obscure channels, made that mode completely useless

Reply to
tim...

doesn't immediately seem to resolve the issue of which boxes interact with the app

I'm also not entirely convinced by a website that answers the question "can I upgrade my box" with the response

Yes! throw it away and buy a new (different) one

Surely that's a "No, you cannot upgrade *your* box"

Reply to
tim...

Having done extensive searches for you, I reckon that you actually need to have a "Freesat" device. Bastards. They are almost as bad as Apple.

Is there anything else you'd like me to research for you?

Reply to
Richard

At just the press of a button?

My old Mutant tuner could record. Although the GUI was near impenetrable.

The FreeSat software makes this easier.

I'm very unlikely to want to record anything that isn't on FreeView.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Well, if you are not paying a monthly fee for their service, you are a user of their service, but not a customer - there is no contract, no fee, no guarantees, no tie-in.

Reply to
Steve Walker

So you never watch anything except the BBC?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes. My boxes do that, but they are Linux based boxes, running OpenVIX and have a "bouquet" feature, allowing multiple EPGs to be used.

Reply to
Steve Walker

FreeSat is payed for by those who broadcast on it. Same as terrestrial transmitters. So it is not directly funded by advertising any more than a terrestrial transmitter is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Pretty certain my Mutant box allows this. But the GUI so awful I can't be sure. But I'm happy to get rid of it as this is the first TV I've had with a built in satellite receiver - less clutter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Well, when you purchase a Freeview device, as I did, the cost is included in the in the price. That makes me a customer. If I am paying a monthly fee, that makes me a subscriber. If you don't know the difference, please let me know and I'll try to help you.

Reply to
Richard

no, a trawl through through the menu until you find that option

at the time Talking Pictures was only on satellite and not on the Freesat EPG

I wanted to watch the "highly regarded but very controversial" (my quotes) The Night Porter, which they were showing in the Midnight slot.

So I reconfigured my sat box so that I could watch it live. But I decided not to sit up all night and take the chance of a later showing being at a more reasonable time (I assumed that it was a safe bet that such a fringe channel would be repeating everything multiple times, I was right about that!)

AIH by the time it did next come around, they had moved to the Freesat EPG and I could record it

Reply to
tim...

I didn't *need* you to research this, as, as I have already stated, my sat box is currently incapable of receiving a signal so whether I can set recordings using a app is moot.

I was just generally interested in understanding the marketing bumf, and if you did put effort into finding out the answer I must assume that you did it for you own education (and yes, I do do that myself sometimes, actually quite frequently)

Reply to
tim...

I've discovered I can record anything I want to a USB stick. But since I'm happy with by BT Humax for FreeView recordings, would only apply to FreeSat stuff.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News