Freecycle query

The wrote on 16/02/2022 :

+1

I never offer anything for free, unless there is some value to it for someone. When it is obviously scrap and of no use, I ensure proper disposal.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

It happens that Steve Walker formulated :

You can, but someone then has to pay Gumtree to be able to contact you, so only worth while if the item has some sensible level of value.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

jkn has brought this to us :

+1 I too got fed up of their constant barrage of email.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Around here even the pikeys don't take fridges, it's not uncommon to see one standing out at the kerb for weeks before the owner realises they have to get rid of it themselves

Reply to
Andy Burns

They pass on a message to your email.

Be prepared for lots of messages saying things like 'is it still avaiable?' And no reply if you answer yes. And lots and lots of no-shows.

Generally, if someone can be bothered to enter a series of emails with you, they are a better bet. Over time wasters, who can't be bothered with this.

If someone says 'I'll come over straight away - what is your address' ask them for an approximate time before sending the address.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

You can for free on Gumtree, but even for sale items soon disappear far down the list, unless you pay Gumtree.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Aren't basic Gumtree ads free to place and the seller only pays for extras? And I've certainly never had to pay any fee to contact a seller, with payment usually being in cash and Gumtree aren't taking a cut there.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I don't think any money is involved to contact anyone via Gumtree?

You have to register with them, of course; that's what 'special' email addresses are for.

Reply to
jkn

Maybe I had in mind another web selling site?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Scott snipped-for-privacy@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote

I think the local facebook buy swap sell groups work better.

No one gets anything you dont want to give them with facebook.

The usual thing is to message the individual who says they want it with your address if you want them to be able to pick it up or to look at it to decide if they want it. Only that individual sees your location.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

In that case your problem is that hardly anyone is likely to want to pay the postage for it so unless you happen to be in London etc then it may be hard to ensure that someone who has one of those would see your offer. Even if you are say in London, it is rather unlikely that anyone will be perusing what is on offer and will see your offer. Tho with the bigger systems like facebook marketplace and freegle etc someone who does trade in stuff may happen to have the coffee machine and want it.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Nonsense, Gumtree is free is you ignore the "extras".

Reply to
Biggles

The nice thing about a local group, rather than a local 'freebies' group, is you're less likely to get the traders. If it's local to your village/whatever it's more likely to go to someone down the road that you know, and it isn't worth the traders' while to join every neighbourhood group just in case people post items available.

A long time ago we used to have a local ucam.adverts.giveaway newsgroup, which had a similar function - because it was private and local to the university, you could be sure everyone on it wasn't in it for the money. The internal mail for sending small items was a bonus too.

Scott: for your coffee jug, I suggest going on ebay and searching sold listings for the specific part/model number. You might find it sells for a decent sum - there are people out there who suddenly need a new one and are happy to pay for it. It's then up to you whether that return is worth the hassle of packaging it up to post, but if not list it as pickup only for a lower sum and just let it sit there until someone bites.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I run the local Freegle Group ( or community). You have control of what emails you receive and can turn then all off except the Admin ones. If this doesnt work just contact the admin to sort it ! If the number of Admins you get annoys you tell them !! I send maybe one every 2/3 months . Easiest way to use Freegle is via a Mobile Phone App. Its by no means perfect and varies a lot between communities; people not turning up etc is a pain ,I never wait in for them but put the stuff outside for them to pickup - if it gets nicked - well its been recycled !

Reply to
Robert

Also look at Olio.

Reply to
Bob Eager

What, are you saying that Freegle doesn't show your advert to anyone outside your village?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Most people create a throw away one from google. I'm a little worried why you don't want to be identified. To me that would mean you are pedalling stolen goodds or something, so they may not want to get involved. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Seems to be freecycle for food?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Our village is so small that there wouldn't be any point in not doing so!

A Freegle area can be as small or as large as it wants, there is quite a tendency at the moment for them to get smaller. Our local Facebook groups are just as spread out as the local Freegle ones.

Reply to
Chris Green

I gave up on Freegle due to lack of success in giving stuff away.

Gumtree, advertised for free, has a much higher hit rate and success rate.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David