Extractor shutters

We had a thread on this recently.

The 6" gravity shutter on our utility wall is getting the full benefit of the current gale! Not so much the clatter but sucking the fan blades and howling:-(

I am sure there is a powered 6" flap out there somewhere?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

<pricks up ears>

The kitchen fitters put a gravity shutter on the new fan in our kitchen, and we couldn't sleep for the noise! I've been meaning to do something and now the fan has died (after only 2 years - and I thought John Lewis kitchens would use good stuff) I need a replacement.

I want a fan with a powered shutter.

All the specs I see describe it as "automatic" which could be power or wind :(

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

If its only during the gale, duct tape it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

yes there is - but its integral to the fan.

I have one like that and one 'flaps in the breeze' one.

AFAICR its driven by an expanding wax capsule and a heater.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It happens that The Natural Philosopher formulated :

The automatic one in my bathroom, uses a wax capsule driving like a camera iris type shutter. I get no noise at all from that, apart from when the fan is triggered, the shutter open and then I hear the wind howling.

Kitchen extract, is a gravity type and exits on the lee-side of the house. I never have any noise from that. It has an horizontal pivot, the pivot high of centre, so it's own weight closes it. Air flow from the extract hood opens it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Hmm.. I'm trying to avoid replacing a relatively unused fan. Architect and building control insisted that the utility area (tumble drier and washing m/c) must have a 6" extractor! Never actually used so tempting to blank off the opening and disconnect the supply.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message <sul4e0$nhr$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield Esq snipped-for-privacy@harrym1byt.plus.com> writes

Set of horizontal gravity closed flaps. Located North West corner of house so gets a lot of suction from the prevailing South Westerlies:-(

Strip of Gaffa tape would fix temporarily:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That's where I fitted my wax capsule equipped fan. Almost never use it

Fans are not THAT expensive

£40 shipped...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I could write exactly te same sentence. NW corner, lots of suction.

Cant be arsed. Let it bang away.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hmm.. don't want to seem picky but that appears to need a square hole for the shutter frame and a mains connection without much weather protection.

Best yet!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message <sul4e0$nhr$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield Esq snipped-for-privacy@harrym1byt.plus.com> writes

Nice in 6".

My Scottish ancestors would turn in their graves if I threw away a working fan:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No. You can see the round connection for the duct. The square part sits on the surface of the wall.

Presumably, the fan units sits on the inside of the wall, with the duct running to the outside, where a weather hood/insect mesh should be fitted, so the fan and its supply doesn't need any weather protection.

Reply to
Steve Walker

No, it is a round hole - the square bit is surface mounted.

then you couple that to any old external grill that will keep the leaves out.

I thunk I used some 6" tube of somme sort

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Correct.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So you are saying all 4 pictures represent the assembly fitted to the internal side of the wall?

And I need to start looking for a rain/insect proof grill:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Given you started out looking for one that wasn't noisy, did you notice the comment?

"When shutters are closed and windy outside it wails like a demented banshee"

Reply to
Andy Burns

er.. no. Nothing I can see upthread and no killfiled posts.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

comment on ebay.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah! Thanks. I hadn't got beyond the cost and the pictures.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We have an "iris" type one in the bathroom. They're ridiculously expensive for what they are. What make/model is your wax capsule one?

TIA Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris