Folding door project

Hi,

I have an extension at the back.

When the then owners built it they moved the sliding patio door from the original opening to the wall of the extension (sensible people) which left a patio door size hole at the end of the lounge.

They partially filled this in with what sound like ply (about 9" each side) and then erected a new door frame with a pair of very ugly doors. The doors are about 32" -> 33" each, with obscure glass.

I would like to replace these doors, open the space out again to the full

88" and have two pairs of folding doors. Further, I would like the pairs of doors to swing out of sight i.e. round the corner and back against the wall so that they don't take up any of the opening, as they would if they just folded together up against each side of the opening.

Problem is, I need two doors (glazed to let light through) of about 22" each to do one side. Also, I need the frames to be strong enough for the outer door to fully support the inner door.

Has anyone done anything like this, and if so did they find the doors ready made?

When I look for folding doors on t'Internet I find patio doors which are expensive and a much higher spec. than internal doors.

I have seen some projects in B&Q (they were out of doors and the brochures at the time) but these seemed to have asymetric pairs of doors. I need the pairs to be symettrical as there is just room to fold a 22" door behind the pillar, but no more.

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

can get pairs of doors from here at 42" and 46". 42" might do with some fiddling with frame positions, otherwise a pair of each mounted as one of each either side could work. Mount the side doors on parliament hinges, and the middle ones on flush hinges. You'll need various bolts and things to shut the doors. Any frame should be fine, but fire frames are thicker, so are easier to get a decent fixing into.

ps singer are wholesalers, but have retailers all over - they'll put you in touch with one.

Reply to
auctions

Thanks for that - this could be a possibility (depending on price, of course) - my main problem is a limited budget of around £100- £200.

I will contact them on Monday.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to