Fixing hinges to wall

I've got a wooden gate (6'x3' flimsy pine, about 15kg) and I'm going to fix it to a solid brick wall edge using 3 T-hinges. The latch will engage in a non-too substantial wooden post.
Is it best to fix a batten to the wall, and screw the hinges to the batten? Or fix the hinges direct to the brick?
Thanks, Rob
Rob wrote:

Batten to the wall first. This allows your to put the hinges exactly where you want them rather that where the holes wander to in the wall.
Bob