Fixing for concrete post on foundations

Hi all, Just wondering what the thoughts are with regard to fixing a concrete post on top of house foundations? Post will be shorter than others for the fence as house foundations are shallow but should a bolt down base be used or would you just postcrete ontop of the foundations, or maybe even both? Thanks, Brad

Reply to
bradsalmon01

Typically, where there is a house foundation, there is a wall quite close (not to say "on top of"). Why not just bolt the post to the wall?

Reply to
Martin Bonner

+1 - You beat me to it!
Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks for the reply guys.

There is indeed a wall close by, the post is the first in the run from the house. However I was asking because the concrete posts I look at don't appe ar to have holes for that kind of fixing and trying to drill through one co uld be a real pain with the steel reinforcement in them.

If I was using wooden posts then I wouldn't hesitate to bolt them to the wa ll but not so sure about the concrete ones.

Would you still bolt a concrete post to the house wall? Or any other ideas?

Thanks, Brad

Reply to
bradsalmon01

Why not use a wooden post for that first post? If you are using concrete gravel boards then a couple of panel clips fastened to the wooden post will do as good a job as the groove in a concrete post.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Hmm. I'm sure there *are* posts with suitable holes. I'd be tempted to try an SDS to go through the concrete, and then a Bosch multi-material drill to go through any reinforcement you hit. (Or just use a wooden post for that one - it's not as though it's going to snap off at the base.)

Reply to
Martin Bonner