Not entirely DIY question...

...but you lot seem to have a bunch of experience of the old and gently decrepit.
My old man's getting old. Late '70s, early stages of dementia. He lives on his own, and gets a lot of scam calls - so tends to not answer the phone.
His current phone hasn't got any kind of caller ID or display on it. A cordless phone would disappear into the morass of old newspapers and junk mail in about ten seconds flat, along with the scraps of paper he insists on writing phone numbers on.
So... what's needed is a corded landline phone with nice big buttons and a nice big display to show the name of who's calling from the address book.
Any recommendations?
On 30/01/2016 11:07, Adrian wrote:

I don't know of anyone who offers a telephone linked to a reverse number lookup from a telephone book. There may be legal restrictions.
I believe some of the VOIP companies do offer something akin to spam filter for phones.
On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 11:25:47 +0000, Nick wrote:

Y'know, like any mobile has...
01234 567890 is in the address book with my name, so it comes up with my name on the screen.

And indeed like any of the cordless setups with base station have (although I can see why one of those wouldn't do you). What about:
Amplicom PowerTel 30 Plus Big Button Desk Phone Binatone Speakeasy 7 Big Button Corded Phone
--
HAL 9000: Dave. Put down those Windows disks. Dave. DAVE!

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 11:44:25 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

I've been impressed with the Doro ones. We don't have them any more because we have a load of IP phones.
On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 11:28:34 +0000 (UTC), Adrian

I think Nick was getting confused between 'the' address book and 'your' (Dads) address book. ;-)
I know you didn't mention your Dads hearing but ignoring that, this seems to be well liked by many:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
http://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/ProductKB/ProductFiles/T447/T447%20Powertel%2060%20Plus.pdf
It looks like the CLI does hook up with the address book (if you include the area code in the address book).
p24 "Phone book. Thirty-two phone numbers can be stored in the phone book together with the associated names. • Always enter the area access code with the phone numbers so that the telephone can also assign incoming local calls to a phone book entry"
Cheers, T i m
On 30/01/2016 11:52, T i m wrote:

Indeed, it is one of my little bugbears. I would like a phone that showed a proper name for all numbers.

Not *impossible* I'm guessing, certainly for all the names that are in The Phone Book and where the caller doesn't withhold their number.
Cheers, T i m
Adrian wrote:

Google scrapes reverse number lookups from the web, so even the names of companies you haven't entered into your phonebook are displayed. This only seems to apply to Nexus devices and you have to opt-in, but I don't suppose the O/P wants a smartphone for his Dad.

It's possible something could be arranged with a tablet and a USB handset - that might make a nice 'big screen phone', with either touchscreen buttons or buttons on the handset.
What does Google scrape in the case of 'cold call scammer', since I imagine that sort of number is only listed in the 'Who called me?' forums or whatever?
Theo
Theo wrote:

Usually nothing, the feature is called "Caller ID by Google" I don't know if it's still restricted to Nexus devices, but it used to be.
Looking at the help page it seems it looks at Google Places listings and address lists linked to accounts on your device (e.g. it could lookup colleagues' direct numbers) rather than the web at large.

Not clear how long the tablet battery will last with it being charged full time.
Or how many can handle a USB phone either.
Some phablets will work in that config but again, not clear how long the battery will last and not all that many with user replaceable batteries now.
And not many with very solid USB charger cables either. Some with inductive charging, but in that case the phablet may well get lost pretty easily unless its in some form of protective case with a security cable.

I assumed he meant it shows you the name of the valid calling companies and you just ignore the calls from operations that Google can't put a name to or even just have those auto blocked although that may be a bit risky if it happens to be the doctor who has just moved his surgery etc.
On 30/01/2016 11:07, Adrian wrote:

One of my partner's friends has a service that requires callers to identify themselves by name and press the hash key before the call is passed on. I think it is provided by BT, but I've not seen what the equipment at her end is like.
--
Colin Bignell

On Saturday, 30 January 2016 11:50:06 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com wrote:

It's Truecall technology, licenced by BT and used in some of their cordless phones eg
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Owain
Sign him up to the telephone preference service TPS, this stops a lot of nu isance calls. Once activated it takes a few weeks during which you noticeab ly get fewer calls eventually they stop. The only persistent ones we get ar e the "no win, no fee" legal firms because someone has put out details of a n accident we had 2 years ago.
Richard
On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 04:07:52 -0800, Tricky Dicky wrote:

Done years ago.
Call blockers are being discussed on BBC Radio 4 "Moneybox" at this very moment. Should be On iPlayer soon.
--
Reentrant

There are also some links from the "Moneybox" page of the BBC wibble.
Nick

One of the essentials is Caller ID which is a chargeable service on land lines but is and always has been free on mobiles. I am about to raise this with Ofcom.
--
bert

On 30/01/2016 12:48, bert wrote:

caller ID is free on sky, talktalk, virgin and BT (if you register with TPS). It may be free on others.