Fitted Fridge and Furniture Door Hinge Problem

I?m replacing a fitted fridge-freezer by a tall fitted fridge. The cavity is the standard 56cm width and the furniture doors swing on Mepla concealed hinges with their mounting plates in the cavity. The fridge-freezer slid out of the cavity without fouling the hinges but the new fridge (Electrolux ERN34800) is slightly wider and won?t clear the hinges (spec says the fridge is 54cm wide but it is more like 54.6 cm wide). I got hold of some Salice 200 fridge concealed hinges which have a low profile over the mounting plate area but the hinge end is as high as a conventional hinge. The only way I can see to use them is to put the fridge in with just the mounting plates in position then screw the bodies of the hinges on afterwards ? except that there is then only about 4mm between the head of the fixing screw and the side of the fridge. Can anyone suggest a solution apart from sending the fridge back or building a wider housing?

JonMcD

Reply to
JonMcD

If I have visualised the problem correctly, could you use some hex headed screws in the hinges that you can tighten with a spanner from the front?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yes, that should do it. I'd got rather rather tunnel-visioned on tools to tighten the cross head screw.

Thanks

JonMcD

Reply to
JonMcD

You can get small ratchets with a driver bit in, can't recall where I've seen them though.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for the suggestion, but if it's like the one I have it wouldn't fit. There is only about 4mm between the head of the fixing screw and the side of the fridge and the bits alone are 25 mm long.

There is room to slip a miniature ring spanner in so I will try the suggestion of replacing the baseplate fixing screw with a hex head screw, although the screw thread looks like an odd size and it will be very fiddly. Fortunately the hinge edge of the furniture door is not adjacent to any other fitted units so I could use something like a cranked hinge as a last resort. I am left wondering how the Salice 200 fridge hinges are supposed to be used.

JonMcD

Reply to
JonMcD