Hinge pin door stops

I need to install hinge pin door stops on some interior doors. I've never seen these types of hinges before. The hinge plates are 4 inches high, the pin is about 3 inches or more. Instead of the normal pin; there are screw caps on the top and bottom. The pin is installed and the caps are then screwed into place. The caps are about 5/16 long.

There are no markings on the hinges to determine the maker.

Anyone know what the hinge type is called or know of a door stop that would work?? These doors cannot use the baseboard rigid door stop.

The caps are not long enough to engage the thread. I tried the common door stop, but the cap is to short to attach.

Oren

Reply to
Oren

Can you replace the top screw cap with a bolt having the correct threads and of sufficient length to make it through the door stop?

Chances are the door stop will block most of the view of the bolt head, or you could dab a little gold paint on it to make it blend in.

If the hex on the bolt is too large and interferes with installation, then turn it down on a lathe and saw a screwdriver slot into it.

If you don't have a lathe then just chuck it in an electric drill and use a file to "turn it down".

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

The caps only have three threads, so I'd be afraid to use a longer threaded bolt. I might damage the hinge. Thanks.

Reply to
Oren

Oren,

I imagine that you can replace one of these threaded caps with a bolt or machine screw which you cut to the appropriate length with a hack saw.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Tomorrow I will pull one side of the hinges and look at it to see if I can just drill out the hinge ( threads) for just one door stop. Then install a traditional pin, cap painted to match the hinge color.

Wish I knew the name for the hinges.

Reply to
Oren

buffalo ny: or possibly substitute with a doorknob wall bumper. to catch my small dog indoors from his stairwell doggy door area i use a door screw hook high on the door with a long wastebasket rubberband as a slow doorcloser. maybe get other hardware ideas at:

buffalobill

Found out today the door hinges (about 20 doors) had "upgraded hinges". It was a mistake from the door shop. The were not supposed to be "high quality" hinges. The builder ate the price difference.

If, I get the right size hinge pin in the right bronze finish they should work. I tried and regular hinge pin and it was not thick enough and was to long. However, the tapped threads in the hinge plates did not interfere with a "normal" pin.

The pins are not knurled.

I'm waiting until Monday; as I now know, the local door shop that built the doors. Thanks.

Reply to
Oren

Not possible for some of these doors. I have used them in the past.....

Reply to
Oren