Paint Question

We have orange peel finish on the walls. I bought a can of orange peel spray on at Home Depot. Is there a special way to apply this? I did take it outside and practiced on cardboard and it looked o.k. Then I sprayed a spot on my wall where I had filled a fairly large hole with spacklin compound and smoothed it off. It looked more like popcorn finish. I even tried holding it under the hot water faucett per instructions but that didn't do much better. Would appreciate any advice on using it. By the way, it is oil based. Will I need to seal it with something before applying latex paint?

Reply to
Dottie

Check out drywallschool.com

I don't use the HD spray can texture, for the most part.

Reply to
Oren

I use this stuff on small patch work. Not sure the product name or I just can't remember. Anyway if you don't like the results it should just wipe off with water soaked rag or sponge. It's the primer/sealer that makes it perminate. Make sure you shake the can for some time, longer than you think necessary. Practice is a good idea. It should have an adjustable nozzle. You don't need to use much. Most peoples problem is that they use to much and it looks like popcorn or it starts to run. You don't need as much as you think. These products have always worked great for my repairs and it keeps me from having to bring out the air compressor and hopper equipment for such a small job. Hopefully you got the right product and not the Popcorn finish.

Reply to
evodawg

Thanks. I got the one that said Orange Peel ... I just didn't shake the can long enough. Will give it another try.

Reply to
Dottie