electric burner won't work. 35 y/o GE range, ceramic 'socket'

I tested it with a circuit tester and it was getting power, but the burner element (pretty new) won't get warm. I noticed when I looked closely at the left side of the ceramic socket, the metallic parts that 'grip' the lead for the burner element seemed to be spread extra wide..meaning they wouldn't grip the lead very well. I also noticed the burner's lead that fits into that side of the ceramic socket was sort of fried looking,

I know the part isn't called a socket and is some sort of 'box' but I'm wondering how much of it would have to be replaced...or even better, that I could repair it.

This might be replaced very soon so I don't want to spend anything on it that I don't have to. I have the model number but I can't find it now. None of the on line web pages seem to have its model number.

Thanks

Brian

Reply to
usethisone2007

probably is called a socket, here's two places I'd try:

(I got some parts for a pretty old Modern Maid stove here)

(I've never ordered anything online with them as there's two of their brick and mortar stores in my area, but I've only stumped them once)

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

see:

buffalobill

Take the old one off, and go visit the oldest local free-lance appliance repair place you can find. They will likely have something in their junk box or old stock, or maybe in a junk stove out back that hasn't been recycled yet. Anything from that brand and era is likely to use the same part.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Worst case, you might be able to swap the defective receptacle with one from a back burner that's seldom used. It's really rare for all four burners to be in simultaneous use.

Reply to
HeyBub

Good to know, that was cheaper than my local appliance store, never thought of lowes for that item. Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati