Fire rated downlights

On an EICR some downlights got marked as C2 since they're not fire rated. These are classical bulb-in-a-hole lights going into the loft cavity, rated for 60W or 100W tungsten bulbs, with a through draught. There's no insulation above them, although there is boarding on top of the joists, and some of them are probably under the room above.

I didn't like the lights so I've replaced them with these:

But I'm curious as to what makes a fire rated downlight. These don't say anything about fire, apart from the fact that they're LED so there is minimal heat coming from them so it's free to mount them in insulation. They're a generic Ikea product so not targeting the UK market specifically.

The other side of things is a fire from below getting through the downlight holes. I could fit an intumescent strip around the body to seal, but would the fact the lights are plastic[1] mean they're not much good if the fire melted them?

When I look up things like:

is all about heat generated from the lamp, not about breaching the fire barrier. Although they don't seem to have thought of plastic downlights.

Am I overthinking this? Mainly I want to make sure they're OK next time an EICR happens...

Thanks Theo

[1] Ikea says: Lamp house: Polyamide plastic Lens/ Junction box: Polycarbonate/ABS plastic Spring: Steel I don't know if the polyamide would be fireproof.
Reply to
Theo

You can get intumescent "bags" to fit over the top of them, without interfering with ventilation too much.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It is so that the light fitting retains the fire rated integrity of the ceiling in a fire, and does not fail prematurely, to allow the flames to penetrate the ceiling void. e.g. most flats have to be 'contained' to not spread a fire to the flat above. Cutting holes in the ceiling will reduce the time before the ceiling fails, so whatever fills that hole must be rated at the same, or better, than the fire rating of the ceiling, typically 30 or 60 minutes.

Reply to
Alan

Surely, most wiring is plastic anyway, so really all you need is to preserve the same insulation as is offered over the rest of the ceiling saywith some fire retardant boxe over the holes above the lights.

I imagine there are many more dangerous things in a house if there is fire than those though but it might stop some smoke or fire damage upstairs if the fire is put out quickly. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

That's what it's *for* not what makes something have a fire rating.

Reply to
Chris Green