CFL Downlights

Planning the new kitchen and have started to think that CFL Downlights will be worth considering. (Typically 2x13watt PL CFLs in a reflector). They are common in shops and offices but I have no experience of them in a domestic setting. How can I judge how many I need?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in news:op.wkxug9k9ytk5n5@i7-940:

I have yet to see an LED that gives enough light - they look bright when you look at them - but they don't (IMHO) seem to give the spread of light. Currently we have a bare fluorescent strip (58W)which is great - but isn't attractive. I don't like diffusers as they go discoloured. We are extending the length of the room by 2.5 metres and need to plan new lighting.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I've got four Cree LED spots in this room. My neighbour has about 6 similar LEDs in his kitchen. Both rooms are very bright. They claim 40-50W equivalent, but to me they produce more light than a 50W halogen. I say spots, but they light with an angle of about 30 degrees to each side, so if you have a number of them evenly spaced around the room, it lights well. I've got mine on fittings where I can rotate them, so I can use them to light the wall, ceiling, floor, etc.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Have you seen a CFL Downlights give enough light

The ones my sister has installed are completely useless

tim

Reply to
tim.....

They seem OK in shops and offices. I am refering the the ones that are about 5" diameter and have a couple of PL CFL mounted horizontally in a chrome reflector. They sometimes have a part frosted glass in front to spread some light sideways. I do not mean the very small CFL reflector bulbs.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

LEDs also light up to full brightness immediately. CFL does not.

I've got all my house lights automated so they come on as I enter the room, so immediate lighting is much nicer.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Are you sure you are not thinking of metal halide lamps?

Reply to
John Rumm

Not metal Halide. Although they look great - perhaps too bright.

DerbyBorn