CFL Recessed Downlighters

These seem to be common in shops and offices - but has anyone got a view on their use in a domestic kitchen?
eg: http://www.jcc-lighting.co.uk/products/downlights/compact-fluorescent - downlights-cfl/starglow
or
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GLAT113E.html
I don't want halogen as I need to get as shadow free as possible in a galley kitchen. I also want to be future proof with energy regulations. Wife has poor sight and needs good lighting levels.

These are still downlighters, better than point source halogens, but not what I would want for general lighting. They will be fine for task lighting, e.g. over the sink or worktop (with no cupboards over), and I installed 3 in my parents kitchen about 35 years ago* (smaller than the ones you pictured) which light the worktop and sink along the long window, and they work extremely well. However, they are not a substitute for good general lighting unless you use many of them, and they'll generate shadows.

That's difficult, because such things are political rather than science/evidence based. It would not be difficult for a movement to suddenly spring up and pressure for banning of mercury containing fluorescents, quite likely whipped up by LED manufacturers.

So I would suggest good general lighting, with the addition of extra task lighting for working areas. This is no differenent that what I would recommend for anyone in a functional kitchen, but it's more important for you, and you might go for higher lux levels.
* second half of page http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/lights/diy /
--
Andrew Gabriel

Any recessed fitting is likely to give shadows - unless you use loads of them. As light can't go round corners. For true shadow free light you need the type that is reflected off white walls etc - not direct. And starts out from as large a source area as possible. In practice, tube florries do this most easily, and are also just about the most efficient type of lighting around.
--
*If I worked as much as others, I would do as little as they *

Your best bet in terms of light quality, efficiency and ease of seeing is linear fluorescent. In a galley kitchen a twin 6ft fitting (or two depending upon the length) using 4,000 deg K cool white tubes rather than the more usual warm white gives a very good light for cooking and food preparation.

If you can pursuade SWMBO. Mine wanted halogen downlighters (which are dreadful). The ceilings are not very high at home so recessed lights do have some advantages, I guess.
--
(\__/) M.

We currently have a linear fluorescent and it is great (especially since replacing the old tube). However, a new kitchen is on the cards and SWMBO is wanting something that looks better. However, I have seen some nice linears in out local Sainsburys. Just looking for a place that sells them. They hav ethe thin tubes and have a sort of fine mesh shade - no diffuser.

If you have wall cabinets above the work area, florries hidden behind a plinth on those provide a superb work light.
If there ever was a 'rule' lighting using trendy fittings never actually lights things as well as possible. So you pays your money and takes your pick.
--
*I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory*