oil radiator or panel heater

any difference in economy of these things (slimline elec panel heater vs oil radiator). Both 500w, just wondered if there was any difference. Also, which one tends to keep better temp regulation, (with built in thermostat) i was thinking it would be the oil one as it has more of a heat store, but could be entirely wrong!!

I want one for some constant background heat for some plants i need to keep warm in the house!!

Cheers Simon

Reply to
martin

"martin" wrote | any difference in economy of these things (slimline elec panel heater | vs oil radiator).

Not really, watts in = heat out.

| Both 500w, just wondered if there was any difference. Also, which one | tends to keep better temp regulation, (with built in thermostat) i | was thinking it would be the oil one as it has more of a heat store, | but could be entirely wrong!!

Probably the oil one, *if* they had identical thermostats.

| I want one for some constant background heat for some plants i need | to keep warm in the house!!

You can get electrically heated matting for putting propagators and plant pots on, which might be adequate and would be a lot cheaper to run. Unless your plants are all together in a very small room, a 500 W heater is not going to make a lot of difference.

Perhaps a good plan would be a plastic mini greenhouse in the house, with a low wattage tube heater[1] in the greenhouse. Most are designed for humid environments, which standard wall heaters aren't.

Owain

[1] From any electrical wholesaler eg
W per foot.
Reply to