Incandescent that avoids upcoming ban

There is now a retail-available incandescent that has enough energy efficiency to get around the upcoming 2012-2014 ban until 2020.

Thanks to Paul M. Eldridge for mentioning this in article in alt.home.repair in the "candlelight thread" on April 19th!

These are truly incandescent lamps producing about 90-91% as much light for 70% as much electricity, in comparison to the highest light output grades of standard incandescents. Light output is fully on par with soft white ones that have life expectancy extended to 1500 hours. These improved incandescents have rated life expectancy of 3,000 hours.

They look like soft white incandescents, both while off and while on. They actually are incandescent, specifically a variation of the halogen lamp known as "HIR". They gain energy efficiency by using an infrared-reflecting coating on the inner surface of the inner halogen capsule.

Despite being halogen, they are rated to be fully dimmable. Just don't expect dimming to increase their life as much as dimming increases life of non-halogen incandescents, since halogens have an extra aging mechanism that is slowed to a lesser extent by dimming (filament end notching).

Their color, spectrum and color rendering properties are incandescent-like. The color is more greenish than conventional incandescent to an extent so small that I usually cannot see this, even side-by-side against a conventional incandescent while looking for this. The color difference is of a scale that I have seen between different conventional incandescents of same color temperature but different filament winding styles and maybe different tungsten grades. The HIR lamps definitely *do not* have anywhere near even halfway a "gas mantle" extent of being greenish.

I just got some at Home Depot a couple hours ago. They are Philips Halogena "energy saver".

The 70 watt one produces 1600 lumens (22.9 lumens/watt) and the 40 watt one produces 800 lumens (20 lumens/watt).

Efficiency is improved over conventional incandescent, but is still only around 35-40% of that of better compact fluorescents.

Since these are halogen lamps, they should have at least some regular use with being on long enough to fully warm up to keep the "halogen cycle" chemical process in the inner capsule working properly (as opposed to being used only briefly). Because of this and their cost, I would rather not use these in closet lights, refrigerator lights and motion sensor lights - those applications are where conventional incandescent is plenty good.

Where I would recommend these: Other locations where compact fluorescents are not acceptable due to warmup time, performance with dimmers, temperature often being far from ideal for CFL, or in fixtures where CFLs equal to 100 watt incandescent tend to overheat. These should also be good where there is a critical color or color rendering requirement that no CFL can meet (whether in fact or by fiat or in someone's head), or for those who have big problems with disposable built-in electronic ballasts or with lightbulbs having even 3 milligrams of mercury.

Since these cost $5 per 2-pack and most ordinary spiral CFLs now cost no more and also last longer and have at least twice the energy efficiency of these improved incandescents, I still say use CFL where you can.

Don Klipstein

e on. =EF=BF=BD

=BF=BDJust don't

one can buy cases of regular lamps, before the ban becomes effective....

stored unused they should last forever

Reply to
hallerb

What's this bs about a ban? I've not kept up with the messages.

S. Barker

A recently enacted piece of USA Federal legislation bans manufacture, sale and importation of certain incandescent lamps, starting in 2012.

"General purpose" incandescent lamps of a certain range of light output and failing to achieve some specific standard of energy efficiency will be banned in 2012. This will include 100 and 75 watt "regular" incandescents. In 2014, this will expand to include 60 and 40 watt "regular" incandescents that fail to meet that level of energy efficiency.

The "usual regular" incandescents of 75-100 watts will be banned in 2012 and the "usual regular" incandescents of 40-60 watts will be banned in

2014.

The improved incandescents that Paul Eldridge and I mentioned have sufficient energy efficiency to not be affected until 2020 according to this law.

GE is planning to put similar ones on the market in 2010.

"Specialty" incandescents are largely not affected. Paul Eldridge posted a list of unaffected ones in the "candlelight thread" in alt.home.repair on April 20 in article .

That one can be viewed via Google (along with 24 other articles in the "candlelight thread" of at least 104 articles) by going to:

That article also mentions availability at Home Depot of incandescents that have sufficient energy efficiency to not be banned in 2012-2014.

Don Klipstein

Some (Republican) congresswoman introduced a bill last week to scale back on that legislation and force Uncle Sam to keep its big nose out of people's lightbulbs. I hope it goes through.

Reply to
Dennis M

Why don't you just buy a couple cases of incandescants and keep them with your 8 tracks. You seem to have missed the spiraling energy costs and don't seem to care about waste. Well, it's been a great 7 1/2 years for you hasn't it?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Why don't you eat me, smartass. I use CFL bulbs in my home where they're warranted, I just want the option to use incandescents in certain situations also. I have a sneaking suspicion the majority of Americans do too.

Reply to
Dennis M

Its funny you claim that the poster doesn't care about waste. You see, you can toss a regular lightbulb into the trash since it is basically safe. But the new CF bulbs are hazardous materials that have to be handled by special licensed contractors. The contents of those bulbs can kill you. Talk about waste...

-john-

Reply to
John A. Weeks III

...and this one WILL be hoarding cases of incandescent light bulbs. I *hate* CFLs for most uses.

Reply to
krw

You still have that option. Specialty and low wattage lamps are exempt. There's few places where an edison base lamp couldn't be replaced with one of the CFLs satisfactorily. It pays to not buy the cheap discount store CFLs. And as Don pointed out, you can buy the new halogens, which will certainly fall in price.

I'd still like to use R12, but the switchover did close the ozone hole. Remember that?

Sometimes you have to do something because it has a far greater benefit.

Jeff

I have a sneaking suspicion the majority of Americans do

Reply to
Jeff

I'm not about to use CFLs anywhere I spend any time. I'm not about to replace all my fixtures either. A case of bulbs here, and a case there...

Oh, good grief!

Someimes you just have to be a good little sheep, eh Komrad?

Sheep? Evidently...

Reply to
krw

thanks for the info. sounds hoaky to me though.

S. Barker

funny you would say that to him. I was thinking about doing just that (buying cases of bulbs, not keeping them with the eight tracks) My 8-tracks are in a controlled environment due to the foam pressers and the plastic. The bulbs will not need this specialized attention.

S. Barker

I remember no such thing. The hole in the ozone has been opening and closing for centuries. And no refrigerant will EVER cool as well as R-12. I also have a supply of that, and add to my systems as needed.

S. Barker

In many areas of the USA, households are still allowed to dump CFLs into regular trash.

Don Klipstein

"allowed".?!?!? Hell, i'll throw them whereever i want. And that's usually in the trash can after they've been knocked off their socket by some flying object or swing board.

S. Barker

Hmmm Very good. I guess you throw away used batteries into the trash can as well? Your grand kids will appreciate it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

And, why not?

I'm not about

Why would you have to?

A case of bulbs here, and a case

I suppose you are still questioning evolution? And global warming?

Look whose calling who a sheep?

Sometimes it pays not to be a sheep and blindly believe all that horse manure W has been dishing out for the last 7 years. I'd say lemming is a more appropriate term.

The tungsten light bulb has been around almost 100 years. There's nothing else we use that comes anywhere near being as inefficient. The common light bulb rings in at about 5%. It doesn't have great color rendition unless corrected in which case it has a shorter life or is even less efficient, it runs up the heat load in summer, it has a terrible lifespan... The only real advantage it has is that it is cheap. But not cheap when you consider the lifespan or the energy it uses.

But hey, if you guys love your 100 year old design 100 Watt bulbs. I don't happen to have your emotional attachment.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Propane/isobutane has identical properties, even being mineral oil miscible, mix it 70/30, I believe. It's not like mineral oil filled R12 is not flammable. That and some of the "new" refrigerants are part hydrocarbon.

If you want to toy with the mix a bit, you can beat R12 by 10 - 20%.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

opening for centuries? and tell me how could we see it 100 years ago,

Reply to
ransley