Spring Clips on Downlights

What is the best technique with the viscious things? The seem to damage the plasterboard when removing the lamp. Why are they so damned fierce?

Reply to
JohnP

JohnP snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com posted

Apparently in the decorating trade it's called "being mouse-trapped".

Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

Algernon Goss-Custard snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com:

I like to remove fittings when painting - but I ain't touching these again"

Reply to
JohnP

For mine, I just pull them part way down, put a finger and thumb around the clips and pull them the rest of the way out.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Steve Walker snipped-for-privacy@walker-family.me.uk> wrote in news:saao2m$ea0$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I wonder how many times it can be done before the hole becomes a mess?

Reply to
JohnP

In some cases, <1.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yup. definitely a case for some sort of plastic ring to take the high stress of the springs BUT thus is supposed to be a semi permanent fitment dine by a skilled electrician, You don't need to remove the thing to change the bulb - only, in the case of LV the transformer

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If there's plenty of time I soak the plasterboard with stabilising solution and then glue on a bit of scrim. But even with that I hate fittings with "butterfly" springs

These days many downlights do not have replaceable bulbs. And expecting everyone to pay "skilled electricians" (or to send their 1st year apprentices) to replace sealed fitting seems to me extreme. Even Australians are allowed to DIY for that if they had the nous to get sockets installed.

Reply to
Robin

to keep the texture the same.

Reply to
JohnP

I always put some thing strips of wood (ply, OSB etc) up inside the hole first and have the butterfly clips resting on those. If you ever need to pull the lights back out the force (and sharpish edge) is applied to the wood and not the back of the plasterboard.

Reply to
Mathew Newton